NTSC Camcorder Compatibility Issues?

NiceNick

Standard Member
I have just bought a Canon HG10 Camcorder advertised as "world compatible NTSC/PAL". On receipt I found it to be an NTSC model but it seems to work ok with my LCD TV. From what I've read elsewhere, most of the newer TV's these days accept both NTSC & PAL formats so hopefully I won't have any problems. The main reason I bought the Camera was for a good quality HD picture, but I have not yet tried it using an HDMI cable. (Currently on order - can't understand why these are not included with the Camera.)

Does anyone know of any other areas where I may experience problems in the future (ie compatibility with computers, DVD's etc.)?:confused::confused::D

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
As you've found you'll have no issues connecting to a HDTV. And even if you create SD DVDs with 60i format most PAL players/TVs handle it.

Where you may hit issues:

- Connecting the camcorder directly to a SD PAL TV
- Connecting the camcorder to a PAL set top DVD recorder
- Editing a project with footage from 50i and 60i camcorders (will need to change the framerate of one of them in software).

glesgaguyav

Does anyone know of any other areas where I may experience problems in the future (ie compatibility with computers, DVD's etc.)?:confused::confused::D

No problems if you're viewing HD on HDTV or PC

Playback on DVD (SD) may present a problem if the equipment is not dual standard or NTSC compatable, as any conversion to SD DVD will be in the NTSC format so may not be compatible with some AV equipment

If you wish to edit your footage then it will have to be in the NTSC format and not PAL, NTSC HD is shot at 30fps, PAL HD is shot at 25fps

If in the future you wish to upgrade to a new cam and use footage from this cam then it would be advisable to purchase another NTSC cam as the formats are not compatable.

scott26985

Standard Member
I have just bought a Canon HG10 Camcorder advertised as "world compatible NTSC/PAL". On receipt I found it to be an NTSC model but it seems to work ok with my LCD TV. From what I've read elsewhere, most of the newer TV's these days accept both NTSC & PAL formats so hopefully I won't have any problems. The main reason I bought the Camera was for a good quality HD picture, but I have not yet tried it using an HDMI cable. (Currently on order - can't understand why these are not included with the Camera.)

lol, brought the same one off ebay as me then! :D The guys a lair its not PAL compatible at all. But at a saving of £200 off the UK price and with most UK tvs 20 years old accepting NTSC we cant complain :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom