1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC as opposed to PAL Progressive

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bradford Blade, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    After having two Progressive capable CRT's in less than a month, there's one thing that I've noticed on both. NTSC Progressive always appears to be far better quality than PAL progressive [lucky ol' me happens to have mainly R1 discs anyway].

Just wondering if any of you experts out there might be able to explain why (without blinding me with science). Is it simply harware compatibility or is it something to do with the actual colour system differences?

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN

P.S. The two CRT's were the Tosh 36ZP38 and the Panny 36PD30 playing DVD's through a Denon 2900 (NTSC & PAL Progressive)

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    have you not tryed the new new jvc hi def crt tvs that have just come out seem to be very good at pal and ntsc progressive.

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    In direct response, no, I haven't tried the JVC's. But to be fair, both the Tosh and the Panny are great at producing both PAL & NTSC Prog, it's just that it seems NTSC offers the better picture (at least from my experience of these two sets, which suggests to me that it might be inherent in the format, I dunno).

Anyway, as the majority of my DVD collection is R1 NTSC, so much the better [for me at least:smashin: ]

It's just that I was wondering WHY it seems to be that way, not that I'm complaining:p