1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTSC and PAL/SECAM ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by htwild1, Jul 2, 2005.

1. htwild1

htwild1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I plan to get a Hyundai 32" LCD 320WR here in the US and bring it to Southeast Asia for a gift.

The model sold here has NTSC tuner for the TV, voltage is fine (100-240v).

My question is, can this set be used there with NTSC tuner (i.e., be able to tune in to local stations) where the region is broadcasting with PAL/SECAM system? Or this is for the use of VCD or DVD only.

Thanks.

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It won't be able to tune into local stations. If it accepts PAL at all (which I'm not sure of) it will only be over the video inputs.

This is, unless the set has a multi-system tuner. But these are expensive and always marked.

3. htwild1

htwild1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I have to look for a dual system.

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    No prob. Btw, www.220giftcenter.com has some. They also have a store in New York that you can visit.

5. htwild1

htwild1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked that site and found a converter from PAL to NTSC.

"TVs: Take your NTSC American TV overseas or bring your PAL or SECAM TV to the USA. Using the high quality conversion quality of the CMD-1200 to convert TV signals you can use any PAL or NTSC TV to view any type of broadcast signal in the world. Eliminating the need to buy a new multi-system TV set. Local TV tuner like a VCR, Cable Box or Satellite Receiver is required."

The last sentence got me confused. Why can I just buy the converter, plug it in between the local cable/antenna source and the NTSC TV and be done with it?

BTW the device is $$$!

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Sadly no, the Com World standards converters only have Composite and S-Video video inputs. That wouldn't solve the problem. I haven't seen that specific converter, but standards conversions are usually pretty messy.

Do you get cable/satellite service out there? What if you subscribed to one of those, and plugged the decoder they give you into the video inputs?

7. htwild1

htwild1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    No it wouldn't. Unless it states otherwise, the tuner will only be able to tune into local stations.

9. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long the TV's inputs accept PAL and NTSC all you need to do is connect a tuner to the TV when you reach your destination country. The tuner could be a VHS/DVD recorder, digital terrestrial/cable/satellite set top box etc. Obviously digital sources are going to look best when connecting to an LCD.

10. htwild1

htwild1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what you're saying, regardless of the TV capabilty, I still need to hook it up to a VCR/DVD (local) in order to see the local stations?

All I want to do is to be able to connect from the antenna/local cable box directly to the TV.

I am getting more confused now. I think Sceptre is the one(?).

Thanks for the input.

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then your best bet is to obtain the TV locally.
    There are just too many variations in TV standards to make moving a TV to another part of the world possible.

12. htwild1

htwild1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to bring it in country due to high taxes there. The price is very high (2-3 times) and not a whole lot of choice to pick from.

Even with a converter, I am better off buying outside.

Thanks.