1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL's proposed three tuner PVR for U.K.

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by ROYOLD, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Although I use NTL broadband internet I had no idea that they proposed launching a three tuner PVR in the U.K.

http://www.pvruk.com/

Wonder if this is the same as the Telewest PVR mentioned briefly on this forum previously. Perhaps so as NTL are now incorporating Telewest into the one company.

2. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I've noticed that too it's a SA 8450 box, Telewests new box was going to be the SA 8300 however, that seems to have disappeared from Scientific Atlanas website and now it just mentions the NTL one.

Perhaps both TW and NTL will use the same boxes now NTL have accquired TW?

3. glenmus

glenmus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder if it'll be worth waiting for?

All of the existing products seem to have 'issues' - bugs, reliability or availability. These have prevented me from buying so far. Every time I think I've made my mind up I see another problem on these forums (fora?).

4. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    As usual with all new super high tech products (except TiVo of course :)) there will always be large number of bugs as the companies seem to rush them to market before they are ready and hope to fix them later with updates.
    The exception is very basic products with limited functionality (dumb DVRs, DVD recorders, UK Freeview so-called PVRs etc) which don't have very much to do in the first place.

A proper PVR is much more sophisticated and complicated than most people think.

5. glenmus

glenmus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    @ Cyril
    A dumb Freeview PVR is what I'd have to buy at the moment, and they all seem to have at least one bug. I can't have Sky+ 'cos I can't put a dish up, and I won't buy a secondhand TIVO,

The new BT service sounded interesting (Wednesday night on Radio 2) for free but not so good at £1 per download (per Telegraph today).

6. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    glenmus , if you can live with the limited choice of channels/content is there any other Video-on-demand service in your area?

Though not a replacement for a proper PVR, they would provide an alternate means of timeshifting most of your viewing.

I am about to have Homechoice re-installed now that they offer 8Mbit in my area.

Alternatively, if you have the spare time you can fix all the bugs yourself if you can program in something like C and have a Toppy (C code) or Dreambox (Linux-based).

7. glenmus

glenmus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TBH I don't know. Homechoice isn't available (I just checked).

I would happily bin ntl. The picture's good, at least on my current tv, but my wife and I seldom watch a channel that isn't available on Freeview. The kids OTOH are always watching non-FTA channels. I had decided to get a new aerial fitted (to receive digital) and spring for a Digifusion 200 or Humax 9200, but recent threads have cooled my enthusiasm. Hence my interest in this.

8. glenmus

glenmus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just spotted this bit - my programming days are long since past. I did think about building an MCE PC though.

9. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    MCE prices are dropping now - down to less than £300 quid for a base unit in the USA, and about £450 here in the UK.

Most people seem to say that MCE is now largely bug-free, though being Windows it is probably never going to be as reliable as a TiVo. I suppose expect a reboot every month compared to one every 3 to 5 years for TiVo.

If you have a lot of spare time, you can build an HTPC with MythTV/FreeVo/whatever for around £400+.

10. glenmus

glenmus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I quite fancy a Tivo - but I'd want them to be actively sold and marketed in the UK before I bought one. I know people are impressed with what is relatively old technology. I'd like to see what newer models are capable of (plus as I said I have a hang up over buying second-hand kit)

11. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Don't forget that the old TiVo technology has had 7 years worth of new functionality added by perhaps 10,000 Linux hackers. You don't even need to know how to program in C, as TCL scripts are easy to edit. TiVo's original networking and PAL hacks were done by the legendary Tridge, author of Samba.

I think there might be three or four 'new' virgin untouched UK TiVos left in someones garage in the UK.

If you really don't want to buy second hand kit, just buy a working UK TiVo motherboard and import all the extra bits new from the states.

Get new hard drives, network cards, remote wand and scart leads , brackets and remote controls here in the UK.
    Put it all together and you have your own (almost) brand spanking new UK TiVo.

Then again this will probably cost you £500.