NTL - Wireless - Xbox Live... again

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Erick, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... I have read all of the other posts regarding this issue but I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing.

I have NTL Broadband (A cable modem connected to my PC via USB) in my study downstairs. My Xbox is upstairs. I want to create a wireless network so I can access Xbox Live from upstairs without having to travel downstairs.

Having researched this a bit, I've decided getting this router and this game adaptor is the way to go. Would this be right? Is this all I'd need?

However, I have read that NTL only allows one IP address, I'm not too knowedgable on all this but I assume this means I cannot use the PC at the same time as Xbox Live, or will the router let me do this. I know that NTL offer an 'Xbox package' for £2 a month extra - Is this the only way to go?

Is set up pretty straight forward, especially concerning connecting up the router. Will an ethernet cable run from the router to the modem? Will I have to do much configuration on the PC first?

Also, if my Brother for example who also has an Xbox was to buy the same game adaptor could we play each other via a wireless system link up?

BTW - I'm asking for the router and adaptor for Christmas (Exciting present eh :rolleyes: ) :laugh:

Thanks for the help.

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Few issues here. Firstly if your BB comes through USB I am pretty sure that router you are looking at only takes standard ethernet connections. Does the NTL modem not have a standard network connection as well ? the ones I have seem to. If it dosnt you will need to connect the router to you pc via the pcs ethernet port (This would be needed anyway as the router will be sharing you connection to the pc and xbox). I am pretty sure you need two network cards in your pc to get this setup to work and it means using ICS (Internet connection sharing) on th PC. It certainly makes it more difficult to setup.

Secondly to get the router to work with NTL you have to clone the mac address of the pc which is currently connected to the router. This is pretty easy to do.

I would also make the comment that wireless connections are not officially supported by xbox live in the UK. It does of course work I have a wireless setup using linksys router and access point which works perfectly with live.

WHat I am saying is that if you have a problem MS techincal supported wont help. Luckily you are looking at linksys kit. Their kit does work with live and they will give you technical support.

Having done this myself and obviously having some basic understanding of networking I will say as I always do that getting the xbox connected to wireless is not that straight forward. I had loads of problems getting mine to work with a wireless access point. THe basic problem was that the xbox and wireless bridge had to share the same ip address or the xbox couldnt acccess the net correctly.

You need to do a search on this, there are loads of posts on this topic that will give you all the information you require.

3. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my modem -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has an Ethernet port at the back, would it be better to connect it to the PC using an Ethernet cable?

I thought it would be pretty simple to set up, I have no idea when it comes to Mac addresses etc so I think I'm going to struggle getting it to work. Is there no other simpler way.

I was under the impression I'd just need to connect the router to the modem via the Ethernet port, then it would work straight away. I guess not.

4. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As I thought, you connect the modem to the router using the Ethernet port on the modem. Then use one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the router to connect your PC to broadband.

The problem with NTL is that when you set up the BB connection they make a note of the Mac Address of your PC. The Router has a different Mac address obviously so if you just connect the modem to the router NTL are thinking where’s the PC? That’s why you need to clone the Mac address from the PC onto the Router.

I have NTL but via the set top box and this is what I have had to do both times I brought a router into the equation (Hard wired and wireless routers)

Maybe it’s different with a dial up modem but better to be prepared. You might get lucky and just plug the cable modem into the router and router into the PC and you PC will still be on the internet.

Re cloaning the Mac address, It’s easy to do and there are instructions that come with the router that tell you how to do it through the browser control panel.

Getting the wireless access point to work with Live is another story. I will be honest and say I had problems getting this to work, but others on here have had no problems at all, maybe its just me.

6. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ok, here's what you do.

1. You should have received an ethernet cable with your BB modem. Your photo shows the ethernet port not connected. Connect the ethernet cable from this port to the connector on your router labelled 'WAN'. Your router is then acting as a 'router', which means it routes network traffic to the Internet of behalf of your other devices in the house, either wireless or wired.

2. Your router will use your assigned IP address from your BB provider. Your router is also designed to allocate IP addresses to your devices in your house and 'route' them out via your proper IP address (this is the easiest way to explain).

3. I'm not sure whether the MAC address thing is correct, it may be a new thing NTL are doing, however I can happily swap my router connection with a PC without any problems.

4. The wireless game adapter will connect to the back of your XBOX using another ethernet cable, however the connection between the adapter and the router will be the wireless bit.

5. Please take some basic wireless security precautions because you don;t really want freeloaders attaching to your 'open' wireless system and using your lovely bandwidth for nothing. MAC address filtering and configuring a 'closed network' are the two best options. Your manual should be able to advise.

7. chilin_dude

chilin_dude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi harris, sorry to bother you, but I just received two items I ordered off ebuyer to get my xbox set up wirelessly - one is a wireless router and one a wireless access point - so it seems we have similar set ups :thumbsup:
    You said it was complicated getting the access point set up, I have to agree!!! That is why I am looking for help about how you eventually got it set up?
    Thanks in advance... PS I got the linksys WRT54G and WAP54G

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think the problem I had was that the wireless access point and xbox have to have the same mac address. Otherwise Live wont work properly. If you do a search on Google groups there was a post that gave an explanation as to why its an issue. Something about the router getting confused thinking the access point is the xbox when its only a relay.

There is an option on the web browser setup for the wireless access point to clone the mac address of the device you have conncted it too. Bascially this is what I had to use to get it working.

First go into the network setup option on the xbox, right down the mac address and the other details it provides. The go into the setting opion for the wireless access point and select the clone Mac address option and enter the details it asks for, (This procedure is also mentioned in the instructions that come with the wireless access point I seem to remember)

The next bit I had to find out myself. Go into the connected devices option on the wireless router, there are loads of options you will have to look through them, its the one that shows devices connected to the wireless router. If the wireless access point is shown delete it (Make sure xbox and wireless access point are switched off when you do this).

Refressh the connection to make sure any old setting are not showing up. Now switch the Xbox then wireless access point back on. Refresh the devices list on the router. It might not show up straight away but the xbx should now be able to communicate correctly with the router.

TRhese insturctions are obviously in addition to the other steps you have to take to setup the router and wireless access point correctly (Full instructions are provied in the manual) If in doubt call their technical support I found them very helpful.

You might have to play around with it for a bit I did but thats what I did to get it working, although some people on here seem to have got it working without having to do this.

Good luck.