NTL Widescreen programming

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by delta, Aug 21, 2001.

1. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does NTL in the north west provide a full widescreen service, that is, does it broadcast all available widescreen channels in widescreen and with auto-switching? What is NTL's overall quality like?

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I live in Teesside, and have had NTL installed recently.

I can confirm that the likes of channels 1 - 5 are all in widescreen a lot of the time, with the tv autoswitching, when appropriate.

However, I have noticed, particularly with ITV, certain content within a programme and some adverts which may be 4:3 or 14:9 leave black bars either side of the screen, one side being wider than the other. (My set is correctly adjusted)

If there are any other readers with NTL, do you experience this, one side being wider than the other? Can the pace box (Di4001) be adjusted or is the problem with NTL's feed?

Like I said, the picture is centered corectly on the tv as far as analogue channels and dvd are concerned.

3. atmoscinema

atmoscinema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    You will get black bars at the side when viewed in widescreen when the orignal picture is 4:3 and then it is zoomed before broadcast to nearly fill you're screen.

This is so the telly is not switching back and forth from 4:3 to 16:9 every few seconds/minutes,as like on BBC News 24,as not all sources are yet recorded in widescreen.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delta, I'm in Manchester and what Simple's saying basically holds good for here too - loads of stuff broadcast in w/s and autoswitching - although to be honest, I've got the Auto widescreen switching turned off on tthe TV because it becomes a bit of a pain when your flicking around the channels.

Cheer<br />OG

5. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys! OG: What is the digital picture quality like, is it consistent across all channels?

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture quality is spot on Delta, and very consistent.

You only notice old stuff like Sweeney, On The Buses etc being a bit grainy but that's obviously not down to NTL. I'd class most of the stuff as stunning - with some of the kids cartoons you'd think you were watching a DVD.

Cheers<br />OG

7. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again, fair comments! I've downloaded the relative info. from the NTL website and now I will compare prices before deciding what I should do. Currently I have free-to-air from my Sky box and I subscribe to ITVDigital, the latter being excellent. However I do like some of the packages that NTL have to offer although I am not certain how they compare with BT Surf Together.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delta - NTL Broadband has just become available in and around Altrincham - £24.99 / month unlimited 512k access!

Cheers<br />OG

9. poolking

poolking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am thinking about getting broadband cable from NTL.

What are the standards of picture like and is it worth the £34+ a month for the basic channel package??

That's if NTL will connect me, after the history I had with them over a year ago!!

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been waiting 2 weeks for an Info Pack from NTL - not impressed!