NTL vs SKY

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by dudimonster, Oct 8, 2005.

1. dudimonster

dudimonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just set up new 37 veira, just wondeing which digi provider would give better signal, currently have sky but have been offered ntl. No dish with ntl just a wired connection ala broadband. My question is which is better.

2. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am no expert on this subject (have NTL) but a lot of folk are of the opinion that NTL are more vilainous than $ky in overcompressing signals leading to lower picture quality over all... (on my current CRT the signals seem fine even on some of the ropier channels.

I'd like to switch to $ky when HD comes out but that will mean a new home phone # - we currently get that from NTL too and I still have to convince SWHMO...

3. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Sky is better ( top class distribution equipment, no repeater amps, mega cable runs etc.. inducing noise) and it also depends on the Digibox you use, Pace Boxes offer the best PQ!

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    NTL is shocking quality, my mate has both and the difference is unreal.

5. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have NTL, now have sky. The picture quality wasn't much different, however I find the Sky EPG and interactive services to be much better : on NTL the red button produced a more limited interactive service and was also less responsive (that could have been the age of my NTL box though ?). The NTL box was also prone to crashing especially during/after remote software update and often needed rebooting by unplugging the mains.

NTL may be a little cheaper overall due to the bundled phone line..

Martin

6. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If something goes wrong with Sky, you get to talk to an Indian call centre who don't speak English and just want to get you off the phone asap to meet there targets.

On the other hand, if something goes wrong with NTL you get to speak to nobody because their support numbers are always busy.

Both Sky and NTL Order lines seem to work ok, and are answered by British call centres very promptly - I wonder why that is???

Personally, you cannot beat the Sky+ hardware.

7. Sparks74

Sparks74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed from NTL to Sky+ earlier this year. We had phone, broadband and TV from NTL, I've kept the ntl phone and broadband (they installed a cable modem as I was using the stb). I think Sky used to insist on a BT phone line but they don't anymore. Switching didn't cost anything and it actually costs me less per month.

Agree with everything said above, better signal from Sky, the interactive stuff is actually usable and no weekly reboots of the stb. Broadband's more stable through the cable modem as well. The missus loves Sky+ so much she just ordered me a 436XDE :smashin:

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Brings a tear to my eye! You want to keep hold of herr mate!

:D

9. dudimonster

dudimonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx to all who replied, easy decision there then me think :smashin:

10. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Bit of a shame though, since NTL look like they might be getting their grubby hands on some Premiership matches from 2007 and not forcing us to spend vast sums of money on a bunch of channels showing wall-to-wall Crazy Frog adverts in order to watch a few football matches.

11. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sky is by far superior, had both, ntl is v. slow and they also have to pay sky for their programmes, hence higher premiums for the same packages.

12. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got ntl TV and broadband, but that's only because I work for them and get staff discount! :D

The PACE set top box is poor, especially with the interactive services. I had Sky in a previous life and the service was far better.

I may switch back to Sky+ though if there's a chance the wife will buy me a 436XDE!! :D

13. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have the new Samsung boxes with NTL and they're alot quicker, picture quality is a bit better too. I'm waiting to see what they have on offer with this "Everything is turning Digital" leaftlet we got sent the other day where they're aparently upgrading the service sometime between now and christmas to pair up with the new 10Mb broadband