NTL vs SKY vs ITV Digtial vs ??

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Darren_L, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So who's the best?

I'm currenlty with NTL digital cable, but I'm not 100% satisfied with them:-

1) They want £25 to plug another box into my bedroom even though ALL the cabling is in place. They then want another £10/month for me to rent the box!

2) Their pace digital box (DITV1000) uses IRDA for its infrared and so is not compatible with ANY of the universal remotes available; or with my video which has satellite control built in.

3) Their channel line-up is not as good as SKY and they're more expensive (even though you get the "free" phone line)

4) I pay £6/month for Film 4, but only get the main Film 4 channel. On Sky you get all four Film 4 channels for £6/month. NTL say they're "constantly revising their channels" so why do I pay the same for less?

Maybe I'm being very fussy, but when I'm paying £50/month to NTL (£600/year) I expect to get a top-notch service.

Having read some of the posts on problems with SKY, perhaps I should stick with the "Devil-I-Know"

2. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I have PACE NTL digital box and my universal remote (Smart 10 way learning) works perfectly with it. I just put it into learning mode and have mapped every key one the NTL remote to the Smart remote.
    The remote is on sale from Keene Electronics and Lektropacks for anyone who is interested.

3. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Njay, you've probably got one of the newer NTL boxes (the 4000 series)

FROM WWW.LETSAUTOMATE.COM www.letsautomate.com/prontouk.cfm?cfid=40217&cftoken=16...
    >IMPORTANT NOTE only for UK Digital Cable viewers:
    >There are three types of Digital Cable viewing box
    >that we know of. There are two models made by Pace -
    >D1000T and D1010T. These use NON industry standard
    >infra-red (they use infra-red known as IRDA standard
    >which is used by computer peripherals to
    >communicate). Pronto can NOT learn these codes (and
    >no other learning remote can either).
    >
    >However the model DI4001N can be learnt without
    >problem.
    >Sky-Digital, On-Digital, and analogue viewers are NOT
    >affected by this problem, and Pronto will learn these
    >products (and just about any other product) 100% okay

I'm currently "in negotiations" with NTL with regards to my criticisms. Their customer service department leaps into action at lightning speed when you tell them that your defecting to Sky Digital ;)

4. druidvideo

druidvideo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just had Sky+ installed in my new house after being with NTL for 5 years. It is now immediately apparant just how far behind NTL/Telewest are compared to Sky. Its that simple.

1. SKy+ - Absolutely superb and does exactly what it says it does and more.
    2. Dolby 5.1 in Sky movies.
    3. Svideo output from STB
    4. The red button (I didnt have intereactive in my old area, and when they did introduce it, it was horribly slow)

5. dave1de

dave1de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Wow, 5 years for there to be a reply

6. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +331
    I was just about to type isnt Film 4 free now and your being ripped off when i saw the date!

talk about blast from the past.

ps we are nearly there for a ntl+ type box after 5 years!!!

7. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    How many posts did you trawl through in order to find this opportunity to make your point? :D

8. SCiARA

SCiARA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So now we are 5 years on how are all your opinions on who's the better?

I have sky and a basic £15 a month package as I never really get a chance to watch the movies or sports, I looked into the Sky HD and looks like I have to pay £300 for the box + £10 a month for hd subscription + £10 for the "+" subscription, so I end up paying more for picture quality than the channels themselves!

Do NTL have a HD equivalent?

9. Purist

Purist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...A true troll. :thumbsup:

As for the topic in question... I'm with NTL/Telewest (soon to be named Virgin Media) and have had a great service due to the technicalitys of cable when concerning the Internet. On the T.V. issue... it was only since Sky+ that Sky was any better than NTL/Telewest. Though ever sinse Telewest brought out their HDTV service, its actually a better deal than Sky. - A.) The PVR is free :)grin:) B.) HDTV down fibre optic cabling is much better than through the air. e.g. satelite.

10. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I was talking to a couple of friends at the weekend who are dedicated Sky fans. Apparently it can do no wrong. They are in a cable area so have the choice. Their logic boiled down to this:
    1 It has a good menu system
    2 We can get 900 channels (they don't watch any sport)

When I enquired about their viewing habits it appeared that they watched the music video channels, which are perhaps the worst possibly possible technical quality, and any channel which showed Stargate.

Need I say more.

What more can one say ?

11. Purist

Purist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like they're into the gay channel. :)

Though obvioulsy Sky did pioneer the 'watch late night telly whilst eating your cornflakes' technology but even up until then, NTL/Telewest were offering the same service at better prices.

12. mitchec1

mitchec1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I'm with NTL for BB but wouldn't touch them again for TV. I left because of no PVR, the fact that when you pushed the red button the box used to sit there for 5 mins and come up with this service is unavaliable or crashed the box. This did p*** me off as I used to work for Cable & Wireless and was involved with the London network so knew what it was capable of 4 years ago. Well the bits that were connected to our Qos network anyway.

I now have Sky HD and have spoken to friends who are TW engineers and my brother who worksfor TW in the Bristol area and they think the TV Drive is crap and needs sorting out(if they think it is and they install it what does that tell you). I hope they do sort out the issues out as it may drive HD forward and bring out more content.

The fact you've got or are getting a pvr well about time this should have happened at least a year ago for NTL customers

I'm extremely happy with my 2 Thomson boxes already had my money's worth as far as I'm concerned.

As for quality can you let me know how the premeirship/ rugby union/ discovery channel or the starwars films look in HD I'd like to compare????? Until you actually get content there's no contest really is there.

13. druidvideo

druidvideo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :oops: I didnt even see the date on that post I replied too. I wasn't trolling honest . If I was my join and post date would probably the same. ;-)

In any case thanks for going easy on me and for the laugh. :rotfl: