NTL vs SKY+ - pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by kismet110, Apr 8, 2005.

1. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I'd really appreciate your input on the above.

Currently I'm 7 months into a 12 month contract with NTL, did have SKY (not +) before at my old house but due to a fallout with them I cancelled my subs.

Am now thinking of returning to SKY when my NTL contract expires in a few months, mainly because of one or two extra channels that they have which are not on NTL (and have no plans to be in the near future :( ) and also the functionality of SKY+ (which I know can be done via a PVR but that's by the by).

If I do get it I will probably do it in my sons name (as I think 'new' customers get better offers) and will require multi-room to keep everyone happy.

Questions for those who've had/have both:

What advantages are there by sticking with NTL?

Is there a noticeable difference in pq (if any) between the two (should mention current equipment is Pace 1000 DigiBox via RGB SCART --> Hitachi 42PD5200)?

I have been lucky in that very few crashes/glitches with the NTL boxes, only occasional EPG lockup and screen freeze fixed by reset; can I expect worse with SKY+?

Would I be able to insist on particular make/model box (v2 Pace comes to mind)? I know when I had it before I asked when ordering for a Panny box and did get it although was told they can't guarantee it.

Can I get multi-room setup myself by ordering just one box then purchasing another for the 2nd room or is this problematic/fiddly?

Any other advantages/disadvantages in SKY+?

As mentioned, your comments would be much appreciated. It won't be happening for 4/5 months if it all but better to get as much info as possible beforehand :lease:

Regards

ALI

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Bump? Anybody?

3. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Regarding ordering it in your sons names - I think Sky are quite hot on this and if you share the same surname or/and use the same bank account as before to make payments they'll rumble you. They regard you as an "existing customer" for up to two years after you cancel.

You can try and request the box you want but from what I can gather it's a bit hit and miss - generally you get what ever they have in the van that day. Also, be aware that on some special offers Sky put out they are entitled to give you a refurb.

Multi-room, nothing to stop you buying a second hand sky reciever and then when the fitter wires you for multi-room he'll marry up the new viewing card with your Sky reciever. Remember that with multi-room you have to permanently have both boxes connected to a phone line (not just for the first twelve months).

Hope that helps

Nathan

4. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks Nathan, appreciate your help.

My previous sub to SKY was cancelled over 2 years ago, am at a different address too so hopefully will be OK on that front.

If I do go for it I will buy the 2nd stb myself, although since posting the original mail I've learnt that I can buy a Pace digibox & quad-lnb dish (and may not even need the FTV Card for the channels I'm interested!) quite cheaply 2nd hand, therefore no need for 12 month subs, phone-line connected etc. etc. Obviously it wouldn't be SKY+ but I could always buy a HDD/DVD Recorder with the money I'd save ....

Thanks again, any other input would be much appreciated, esp regards pq.

ALI

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    My personal experience with Sky -v- NTL was that Sky gave a much better picture quality.

If you do a search on your topic you will find a good number of other threads on exactly the same subject

6. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    That's good to know, better PQ would be a nice bonus if I did go donw the SKY route.

Thanks for the info.

ALI

7. Steve_runner

Steve_runner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I moved from NTL in November 04 to Sky+. PQ seems the same and at least the interactive works without crashing the box, as was the case with NTL. The big plus point, excuse pun, is the Sky + facility. Great, totally changes the way you watch TV. Would recommend the change. :thumbsup:

8. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a customer services perspective, from all accounts neither of these companies are fantastic at it. However, I've had the most horrific experiences with ntl in the past with my broadband connection and they still owe me £30. You phone ntl and they say that 'they need to e-mail another department' and that they are specifically not given a telephone number for that department so that it is not innundated with calls. I've never heard of such p*** poor bo***ks in my life. What sort of company deliberately prevents its customers from speaking to the relevant people?!

As far as sky goes, I've had a problem with them recently and the rep on the phone was nothing but apologetic and did his best, even if that wasn't quite good enough (see my post 'film four scam').

Personally I wouldn't buy a can of coke from ntl even if it was only 3 pence.

9. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Comparing my NTL to my dad's Sky+, I'd say there's no comparison - Sky+ by a mile. Picture is better, the box has digi out for sound, the EPG is faster, easier to use and less prone to crashing. Interactive features are infinitely better on Sky (eg. Football First etc). I can't think of a single thing that NTL has over Sky.

Unfortunately, I live in a flat where we are hooked up with NTL wiring, and we are not allowed to put up any external dishes, so it's NTL or nothing for me!

10. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Steve, Boy, Matt:

Thanks very much for your responses, the more I read the more I'm convinced it's SKY over NTL, even if I go the route of dish/stb +ftv card instead of SKY+.

I have been lucky (so far!) with NTL regards customer service but I guess it's always better to get out whilst youre ahead.

Thanks again.

ALI

11. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,488
    As Boy Lex said, neither have particularly good customer services but as bad as Sky are NTL are many times worse.

My mum moved house, cancelled all her services with NTL and paid up but they are still sending bills despite many many phone calls. Fortunately they don't know her new address but the responses she has had from NTL on this problem have defied belief!

12. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Wait until you try to leave NTL, that's when the fun really starts.....they will say they never received your end of contract letter, tell you the computers down so they can't do anything, pass you on to another assistant who knows nothing about your situation (that's after taking about an hour to almost get something achieved), ring you every other night for weeks asking you to confirm that you wish to leave....Ohhh the list is endless. Every trick in the book....I remember one of the operators telling me that my letter had probably been binned as the staff were very unhappy there and a lot of them were being laid off.....

Anyway, good-luck :eek: :eek: :eek:

13. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is NO advantage whatsoever in staying with NTL.Send your cancellation letter by recorded delivery and keep the receipt.
    You won't realise what a mistake you are making by not getting Sky+.If you have movies or sports there's no extra sub and it will win hands down for convenience and extra features over ANY HDD/DVDR combo,but get one of those aswell to archive your dvd collection.

14. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Bl**dy hell, sounds like shaking off NTL is no fun at all. I will send the cancellation letter recorded delivery, thanks for the tip, and also cancel the DD/SO with the bank just in case they claim ignorance or carry on charging.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciated.

Regards

ALI

15. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Not as good as my experience with Telewest when they 'lost' my new address after sending someone round to collect my equipment at the new address and then found it again when they sent the final bill of £2.50 ish to debt collectors.

Got a letter from them saying they had cleared the debt as a guesture of good will but they kept failing to inform the debt collectors - finally got a county court summons for the debt - submitted my defence that the debt had been cleared and was all ok but it took 9 months to sort.

Really should have just paid it but there was the principle and then got £100 compensation when I said I was going to sue both Telewest and the debt collectors for harrassment.