NTL Viewing - Intermittent Picture Freeze Problem

L

lindylou2003

Hi There

I just wondered if anybody else had experienced this problem.

For a couple of months now, while watching certain Cable Channels through our NTL Top Box, we've experienced a problem where the picture freezes just for a millisecond. This mini freeze happens every 20 -30 seconds or so. We are still able to follow the programme because the sound doesn't freeze, although there is a weird audible squeak as the picture returns to normal. As you can imagine, this is highly annoying and definitely spoils our viewing pleasure.

However sometimes, the problem doesn't happen at all, and the picture is fine. I haven't done anything about it because it was so intermittent, but now it is happening more and more frequently and it is time to sort it out. Especially with Christmas looming.

I just don't know if the problem is with the TV (which was bought new - just before last Christmas) or with NTL. If it IS the TV, then it might just still be under guarantee.

I would contact NTL for advice but I DO know that one of the Scart leads (from TV to Top Box) is slightly damaged and I have been meaning to replace it before I ring. I'm just rubbish with leads and technical/wires/stuff and don't even know what kind of lead I need. I've heard varying stories about not buying cheap SCART leads/or that cheap SCART leads do the job as well as expensive one. So I never know what to look for. Maybe a new scart lead will solve the problem. I'll go and look for one online now ... EEK! What do I look for??

Meanwhile, has anybody heard of this problem or got any ideas?

PeteD64

Novice Member
I've had the same thing a few times. Like you say it's pretty intermittent & I haven't bothered to call NTL yet.

I would doubt it's a problem with your TV, much more likely to be an issue with the feed from NTL or possibly the STB.

Thinking back I've probably seen it happen on channel 4 & More 4 most often but it cropped up on BBC 1 one evening a couple of weeks back. That was quite bad because it kept doing it & I switched over to freeview in the end.

Update...

Problem is happening for me again tonight. BBC 1 is stuttering every few seconds & I noticed it a bit on ITV1 but BBC 2 & a few other channels seem fine. I've not had the squeaking noises tonight but I do know what you mean by that. Are you in the Solent region as well? Could be a general fault on the transmission.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I just don't know if the problem is with the TV (which was bought new - just before last Christmas) or with NTL. If it IS the TV, then it might just still be under guarantee.

I would contact NTL for advice but I DO know that one of the Scart leads (from TV to Top Box) is slightly damaged and I have been meaning to replace it before I ring.
The symptoms you describe would not be caused by the TV or scart lead.

L

lindylou2003

Hi There, Thanks for your replies. I will go ahead and contact NTL today.

I was reading another thread on these forums about NTL Top boxes wearing out eventually.

We've had ours for about 7 years, so maybe it's time it was replaced.

Thanks again :)

N

NickMew

Have had a fairly regular problem with the picture dropping out, but it is on specific channels, namely More4 and sometimes E4. All other channels are fine, and speaking to NTL they say this is a problem with their own feed from channel 4. Whether you believe this or not is another matter...

:devil:

OldAndSenile

Novice Member
We're having an identical problem... It's definitely an issue with the signal coming in, but NTL don't seem to accept it's a problem.

It also seems to be getting a lot worse - especially on the Sky Sports channels... :mad:

L

lindylou2003

I tried contacting NTL last week and they said I needed an engineer but for 2 - 3 days they couldn't contact the engineers because 'the system was down' :( ... so I had to keep ringing back.

Eventually, I managed to book an engineer and they are sending somebody this afternoon between 12 and 6pm ... so I'll let you know what happens.

I hope they can sort it - it's getting worse and worse. It was so frustrating last night I switched the TV off and read a book. I don't want to pay for a service that bad.

L

lindylou2003

Hoorayyy!

An NTL technician came out yesterday and tried to mend the fault. He said there were a few faults with my top box and the signal was weak - so he replaced it with a new top box and now my picture is fine again. :)