NTL Version of Skyplus ?

B

Blaine

My first post, hope it's not an old one.
I have digital NTL, but am fustrated by the inability to record while watching a different channel etc.
My question is simple, does anyone know of any plans to produce something like the skyplus system, but for NTL digital cable. Is there a hint of a possibility ? Is it possible to produce such a system for Cable ?
Thankyou.

Just buy a TIVO box, only £99..... does the same thing. and you can get a life time subsciption for £199

£299 for a HD recorder with no subsciption

PACE have the hardware for a NTL hard drive recorder.
NTL do not have the money to buy them.

Perhaps in a couple of years when all the debt business in well behind them.

Originally posted by Tejpal
Just buy a TIVO box, only £99..... does the same thing. and you can get a life time subsciption for £199

£299 for a HD recorder with no subsciption

How does it let you record one cable channel while watching another?

I can't see how that would work. Does it have a tuner for NTL built in then? And how does it know your sunscription details?

I thought it was just a simple Hard Drive recorder in that respect.

Gas

PS Oh, Hello! First post :)

Originally posted by President Gas
How does it let you record one cable channel while watching another?

I can't see how that would work. Does it have a tuner for NTL built in then? And how does it know your sunscription details?

I thought it was just a simple Hard Drive recorder in that respect.

Gas

PS Oh, Hello! First post :)

Hello President Gas

Short answer to your question is that no, Tivo doesn't have a digital cable tuner. It is therefore unable to record one (digital) channel whilst watching another.

As mentioned by Starburst, the Pace website has stated that they have a twin tuner/HDD digital cable box under development for over a year now. However, with NTL's current financial difficulties it seems unlikely that they will have any money to invest in new hardware in the near future.

You might have heard that Pace will be bringing out a twin tuner/HDD box for digital terrestrial very soon. As this would leave cable as the odd one out, perhaps this might give the cable companies the impetus to invest some cash?

One other thought I had - the cost of obtaining a second STB from NTL was cheaper than Sky + last time I looked. This would allow you to watch and record etc.. Haven't looked into all the costs, just an idea that popped into my head whilst typing this message. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom