NTL version of Sky+

RedGBarn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway I can create the equivalent of SKY+ but for my poor old NTL box. IE: is there a HDD recorder than can control the NTL box when in timer mode

Ain't it a bummer being with NTL sometimes?! Well actually most times!!

Like you I look at Sky+ with envy, wishing NTL would pull their finger out and stick a HD and second tuner into their boxes..after all there are enough Freeview boxes out their that have similar capabilites. I for one would be prepared to pay £200+ for it.

Could just just go sky, but dont fancy more holes in the house, dish on house blah blah.

As i see it the alternatives are thus:

- link NTL box to the PC via somehting like WINTV
- link NTL box to a HDD/DVDR via RGB input scart
- some will say buy a TIVO - but i believe u need a 'gizmo' to work with NTL

all of these alternatives are only limited though because without a second tuner in the NTL box you will only ever be able to recod the channel you are tuned into.

Some rumours about NTL developing a PVR this year, to be introduced within two years....but probably b:censored:t to stop subscribers deserting!

NTL are putting all their eggs (Digital TV wise anyway) into VOD, it will either be the technology of the decade and a major cash cow or the biggest white elephant in broadcasting history:)

I can't see a massive point to VOD.

I have that already with a 5 min drive down to Blockbuster!! How many people actually use the movie pay per view? Personally I'd rather enjoy the full benefits of DVD with Dolby Digital / DTS, extras etc etc.

For me NTL have a limited life existence on TV - those that want the footy with inevtiably go for Sky/Sky + others will surely go with Freeview. Where does that leave NTL

I have had NTL for years. I bought a DVDR for recording but due to the STB not working as it should (AV Control) and the diary system being complete :censored: IMHO the entire NTL thing is a complete waste of time and money. You know what the excuse if from NTL re: Dolby Digital?? - not enough bandwidth!?!? NTL = cable and broadband to the house, SKY = via satelite - go figure.
The only thing you don't get is the lip synch issue!

When I have a spare couple of hundred $ (or whatever special offer is on) sky + here I come.

I have used VOD a few times, normally for 16:9 stuff and odd movies I'd missed. It's definatly a lazy/bored thing although healther then going to BB (opposite my house ;) ) as I can't resist the Ben & Jerrys freezer.

I would kill for a Sky+ equiv, although one that was more reliable then the Sky+. I'm still waiting for some PC hardware PVR kit to appear with built in support for UK cable services. :rolleyes:

Why dont you consider getting the Panasonic dvd recorder.
The basic one uses ram discs and can be used like sky plus for pausing live tv ets.

Alternatively gofor the more expensive one that has the hard disk.

I have sky plus and a panny e50 and both get used alot.

Chris

I was speaking to friend who works for NTL, and asked what the future holds for them etc.
It seems the telephone and internet side of the business is doing well, but the TV side is struggling.
I asked if any type of SKY+ recorder might be offered, but was told none was in the offerings.

Even caller display still isn't in their immediate plans!

The demised TIVO boxs was the nearest chance of SKY+ features to NTL customers apparently.

For the time being at least, it seems as though NTL will be concentrating on selling phone and internet packages, with "Freeview" type TV thrown in.

Any one else think cable companys missed a golden opportunity with all that nice fibre optic cable laid?
I'm not sure, but surely fibre optic must be good for Hi-Def and VERY high speed internet?

Television services were always going to take a back seat, the companies that bid for the franchises were only really interested in the telecoms sector, grabbing a slice of the multi-billion pound empire BT had inherited.
The internet has been icing on the cake and the televison both analogue and digital at least to me seems to have been the loss leader or deal maker, throw in the telly for a nominal fee when you have a high profit phone line.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder how good a platform cable could have been if there had only been a single national provider right from the start, no mis-matched networks, no billion pound debts incurred buying up other operators and a strong rival to SKY.

Or like in the states where you can actually *choose* between several cable providers rather then just be locked to one of two depending on your geographical choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom