ntl v sky+

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by old grumpy, Mar 9, 2006.

1. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have NTL which is a dual standard box i.e. it gives me the terrestial channels plus NTL digital. This means I can tape one channel (either terrstial or digital) whilst watching another. I also have NTL braodband which I rate as v good. However, NTL does not get the same range of progs that Sky offers, and it lacks the "red button" control option for a range of services. Going to Sky plus would give me the option of taping or pausing live tv. Combining this with my Panasonic DMR E55 recorder which has time slip would seem to give me a very versatile recording setup. It would also mean switching telephone provider back to BT. The Sky option would work out a little cheaper. NTL are also notoriously difficult to contact by phone -a seance may be the only proper way of doing so!

But - in view of some of the comments here on the sky plus service / box, I wonder would I be better staying with NTL ??

Any comments / advice would be welcome.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY hardware can use a NTL phone line so isn't there a phone/broadband option from NTL?

NTL will have a DVR sooner or later, the rumours were for the end of the year and like TW it will be HD capable.

Never had a problem getting through to NTL but some of the lads at work have had problems, the difference we have agreed on is that I am the only one on a BT line so they see me as a new customer and get through quick:)

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Why not consider cancelling anyway to see if NTL will offer you a better deal. I just got my monthly broadband fee halved by them by threatening to cancel.

4. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should have said that the 2mb broadband option via BT is cheaper than NTL - hence the consideration of going to BT (£17.99 against £24.99). I have always argued that I would not make the change until the gap in costs narrowed. The Sky / BT option is now in the frame, but reliability is also important.

5. James Ferrier

James Ferrier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you have to consider that NTL phone rental is included in the TV package, and in fact your BT broadband is £17.99 + your line rental which might be £10 so infact NTL is a few quid cheaper.

I threatened to leave NTL and was offered their whole package of sports/movies + unlimited calls for £40 a month, on top of this I now get broadband for £9.50.

This would cost £42 for equivalant TV package with SKY + £10 BT phone line plus £17.99 for broadband. It was a no brainer for me to stay with NTL cost wise even though they are a bit rubbish with customer service.

6. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask if you negotiated your revised deal with NTL via phone or in writing / e mail and how hard did you have to push?

My understanding of the BT Sky option would be:

Broadband 2MB £17.99

Tel rental £11.00

Sky plus 2 packages (non premium) £25.00 (incl £10.00 sky plus charge)

TOTAL £53.99

Thsi gives access to some 203 channels compared with some 160 channels with NTL for around £55.

However, if I thought NTL would make me an offer I couldnt refuse, then I would consider staying for now.

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I don't know of this is important but BT do cap the majority of their xDSL products where as NTL do not (1 and 2 meg anyway) plus depending upon the distance from the exchange speed can fluctuate.
    Free install or re-activation for the BT line?

8. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Many Broadband deals which look cheap have limited downloads and NTL were threatening to cap the system at one time. However I now note from my most recent bill that my 1 Meg service is 'unlimited'. I'm not sure if this applies to the 2meg and 10meg customers as well. I suspect many Forum members are doing a lot of downloading music and video streams which makes the deal look a lot better.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Old Grumpy, you have to actually threaten to cancel by phone so that your put through to their customer retentions dept. These are the people that can and will offer a deal to keep your custom. Like I said earlier, I did just this stating that I could get 2mb broadband via adsl for £14.99 or less and they cut my current 2Mb fee in half with an offer of another good deal in 3 months time (10Mb I suspect).

BTW NTL do cap there 1Mb and 2Mb broadband services but I think it's 10Gb per month so not much of a problem compared to the 1Gb that most £15 adsl providers offer. :oops: I've just noticed that this no longer applies, I wonder when they changed that.

10. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Sorry Neil, but I am looking at my latest NTL bill which arrived today.It says
    'Unlimited 1Mb 17.99'

My only argument with NTL is that I would like the kind of option that Sky offer where you can mix packages,rather than have to buy the 'Family' pack just for the sake of getting a few channels I like. It matters not a jot to me that one service offer 203 channels and the other 160. 80% of either I would not waste my time watching. More is not always better. I have seen Sky in the homes of friends and I maintain that, for many channels, the quality of the picture is much better on cable. Sky can put out 200+ channels by compressing the signal, hence the rough pictures that people complain about over and over again in the Forum. As TVs get more discriminating the quality of the signal is more of an issue.

11. James Ferrier

James Ferrier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    we had some issues with the service, i.e. not activating pin services properly and a delay in upgrading our packages so just exagerated on the issues and they gave us credits to the account and negiotated a monthly discount. This was all through the customer retention team but they are only open from 9 till 5 i think.

12. old grumpy

old grumpy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like the fast download speed for accessing a wide range of info -holidays, news etc. I do not use it for gaming but always have nagging doubts about going down to 1 MB, particularly when the speed direction is up, and the potential to offer more and more via the net is still evolving. I just feel that NTL have no edge here. The sky plus setup is appealing if the box is reliable. NTL need to do something to retain customer interest/loyalty. So, I will have to see if NTL are up for making an attractive offer.

In the mean time, to go back to my origingal question, on balance, can anyone say with any degree of certainty whether the Sky plus is a good or bad move? The current Mrs Old Grumpy wouldn't half give me a load of grief for switching to a "dodgy digi box". It needs to be stable and reliable.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I've had SKY+ since it launched back in 2001, same box still going strong so I would say go for it but there are problems, maybe not as widespread as this ver focused forum would have you believe but it would be foolish to ignore them.
    Basically I consider SKY+ to be as reliable as anyother digital receiver especially if the installation is done correctly.

However if NTL did offer you an attractive deal then I would probably say stick with them until the offer ends, by then they might have their DVR officially announced and maybe the SKY+ HD will have proven itself.

14. Squeeker

Squeeker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Old Grumpy,

I was in a similar situation to you in October 2004. I had NTL Cable TV + Phone and (what is now) the 2MB Broadband package.

I had awful problems with incorrect billing for my TV account and was also starting to get bored waiting for their Sky+ equivalent ("The end of the year" I was continually told). So I dropped the TV service only (I'm still an NTL phone and broadband customer) and went for a Sky+ deal at the time.

I have nothing but good things to say about the experience. I love Sky+ (I can record programs again) and I even ended up with an Amstrad box which is supposedly not the best. However compared with the old NTL box (and the services it provided) it is a large step up.

Also, my experience of customer service ranks Sky far, far, far above the hellish experiences I have had with NTL.

I was very happy I made the change.

15. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    ntl's "unlimited" is just a slogan. they are actually capped at how much you may download. normaly its ignored unless you start abusing it

however i have 2mb ntl and never get a download above 256KB

16. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    :confused: Are you saying you never download anything greater than 256KB or that 256KB/ps is the highest download speed you've had. If it's the latter then of course you're never going to get above 256KB, 2Mb = 256KB. The cap as it was, ie, the amount you can download in a given period, has now been removed for 1Mb and 2Mb.

17. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    256 Kbytes x8 = 2048 Kbits (2MB)??? Is this not about right???

18. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591

You are missing a very significant point here. I had a look at BT's £17.99 offer knowing there would be something behind it. There is a ridiculous 2GB CAP PER MONTH ON THIS. I would download more than that in a day easily (I'm on 10MB).
    I can confirm that NTL's service is for 1MB and 2MB is UNCAPPED, meaning you don't have to worry about any nasty charges at the end of the month. Here is a price guide below that may help you...

NTL

1MB - £17.99 (Uncapped)
    2MB - £24.99 (Uncapped)
    10MB - £34.99 (75GB Allowance guide only)

BT Broadband Basic
    Price £17.99
    Speed 2Mb
    Usage Allowance 2GB

BT Broadband
    Price £22.99
    Speed 2Mb
    Usage Allowance 6GB

BT Yahoo! Broadband
    Price £26.99
    Speed 2Mb
    Usage Allowance 20GB

BT Yahoo! Broadband
    Price £29.99
    Speed 2Mb
    Usage Allowance 40GB

I can virtually gaurentee that you will go over the 2GB cap unless you only go online to check your e-mail once a week. Don't make the mistake of saying "I won't use that" because you will. Then you are stuck with a 12 month contract and potentially much higher bills.

For the record, NTL has never actually ever been capped. There was a guidline of 30GB per month but if you went over it now and again that was OK. As far as I know, no one has ever been charged for over use. This is partly the reason why they decided to remove the caps.

The reason there is a cap guidline on the 10MB service is because, quite obviously, you are using considerably more bandwidth and over use in some areas might affect other users' connections. In most circumstances, there isn't really a problem using more than this anyway (I have went well over it many times).

Hope this clears a few things up. :smashin:

19. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    NTL dont cap the 1 or 2 it states so on their site, 10mb is capped at around 70gb/month 1 and 2 are not i have gone far over 10gb/month many times during the past year and have never had any word for them and my download werent like 1/2gb over it would have been a huge amount over the supposed limit

20. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    Me neither!

Was with NTL for 4 years and have been with sky+ for 6 months.

Sky+ is just different league to NTL

21. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    That was the point I was trying to make but still waiting for a reply from JagoPlasma.

22. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    thats correct the above and why do people always compare NTL broadband to BT if you have bt line you can go with so many broadband companies that offer better deals then BT look at BE 24mb £25 month or if not available in your area freedom2surf 8mb or 2mb £25 unlimited dsl is so much better then cable.

NTL tv does suck compared to Sky only problem with sky is there greedy ****s and rip people off hard also LMAO NTL launch HD before Sky got to love it.

23. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Your post is slightly difficult to follow, but I gather you are trying to state that DSL is way better than Cable. How is this so? You seem to forget that the Cable Companies are also heavily involved with xDSL. For example, they were the first to test ADSL2+ for Broadband and the delivery of HD content. I would be really interested in hearing your answer.

24. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    How is the post difficult to follow? you have to be a muppet if you can't understand it.

DSL is better then cable it has lot more room for expansion and it can support better up/down rates also mmm no cable companies didnt get heavily involved with dsl when testing adsl2 they was keeping close eye on it.

BT own all the lines that would deliver dsl companies like NTL/Telewest will not pay BT to use there lines when they already have there own which can support high speed internet and HD TV

25. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

No harm in being a muppet, funny guys:)

xDSL and Cable platforms both have positive and negative points, neither really excel in every field. NTL have done ADSL2+ tests with a view to expanding outside their cable network and providing both basic net access and IPTV services.

BT own some of the UK network.
    Local Loop Unbundling is stripping thousands of lines away from BT and SKY now they own Easynet who I think are the biggest third party supplier of LLU lines in the UK. Cable companies can if they so choose take advantage of LLU and install their own gear in exchanges and then contect to their own backbones.

26. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    It's the way you put it down that makes it a little difficult to follow. Believe me, I am no muppet.

Absolute rubbish. DSL currently doesn't even have any where near the capacity of Cable. Not even close. I am not slagging DSL because it is an excellent technology, it's your lack of understanding that bothers me.

Logically, it wouldn't make sense for NTL to lease BT equipment to deliver their xDSL services, but it WOULD make sense in non-cabled areas. Read this article and maybe it will help you understand a bit more.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/22/ntl_adsl2/

27. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Sounds like you dont understand the technology cable internet is old and has almost reached its peek dsl can still go further only problem with it is distance.

That link you gave that info is old and seems like person who wrote it didn't do there research.

BT own the lines that dsl uses theres few around they dont but hardly any most people get wholesale of BT then provide a service.

28. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    BT own the lines that dsl uses theres few around they dont but hardly any most people get wholesale of BT then provide a service.

Translation somebody please !

29. greenday

greenday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello triplea4uk.

Let me introduce you to a few friends of mine:-

Caps Lock
    and Spellcheck

Treat them as your own.
    Use them to help others understand.:thumbsup:

30. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    You see, I'm not the only one that can hardly make sense of your post. Regardless, I will try and answer.

Cable Internet is extremely new. The Fibre Optic rings the cable companies have installed are absolutely state of the art and they have huge capacity for all kinds of services. Far more than you obviously realise.

Are you having a laugh or what? Your head must be filled with sweety mice my friend :D

OK mate, sorry. You are right. The very reliable and well established theregister.net are wrong. IDIOT.

People get Wholesale from BT because they have no choice. In fact, if OFCOM etc hadn't stepped in and allowed LLU, BT would still be ripping us all off. DSL ISPs have their own equipment at BT exchanges so this isn't right either. Don't come on here blathering nonsense because it is no use to anyone. Think about what you type before you type it. Clearly, you have a problem with this. Are you for real man!? :eek: