NTL "TVDrive"

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by greenday, Mar 22, 2006.

1. greenday

greenday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just off the phone to NTl customer services.

They tell me that following the NTL/Telewest merger, the "TVDrive" will be available to Ntl customers in July/August after they have ironed out the problems with the Telewest box.

Does this seem like "The Truth" or an attempt to hold onto customers who may be thinking of going for Sky+ (like me)???

2. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I wouldn't be overly surprised if this is what happens, seems pointless to merge unless you're going to share development costs. Does mean an end to the NTL PVR with MPEG4 and 3 tuners or at least give them another couple of years to bring it to market.

They need a Sky+ competing box ASAP if they don't want to loose more customers and they do have more bandwidth then Sky so don't *need* to go MPEG4 for a few HD channels.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    NTL have already said they are going down the mpeg4 route so any issues with the TW box are very much irrelevant to the NTL box which will require different code and have different hardware. I wouldn't have been surprised if the mpeg2 box had been scrapped in favour of the mpeg4 box (after all NTL could have chosen mpeg2 when they first entered into talks with STB providors) and I don't think the cable networks bandwidth is that great as to dissmiss the benefits of mpeg4 which will be the HD standard codec for the UK even the EU.
    TW chose the mpeg2 route because it was a cheaper off the shelf product and at the time they were a small company now things are different, interesting to see if there mpeg2 unit is replaced in the long term.

It'll be a first for NTL to bring a product to market months before the expected released (late 2006) but at the end of the day talking to CS sometimes means they tell you what you want to hear:)

However the new NTL are cutting costs across the broad (Call charges, offices) and I have to admit a rumour of the cancellation of the mpeg4 project has done the rounds.