1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL to increase speed to 10Mpbs later this year

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Munkey Boy, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    BBC News Article

This may be of interest to NTL customers (like me) - apparently the 3Mbps service will be upped to 10Mbps later this year (no extra cost), and will become the minimum standard in the not too distant future!

Just as a thought - can ADSL keep up with these bandwidth increases? I remember reading recently that ADSL is pushing the boundaries of capacity at their current 8Mbps speeds... Does this indicate cable technologies inherently have more capacity, or is it just that less people use cable compared to ADSL, so there's more capacity per user?

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    But remember, the introduction of ADSL2 should bring speeds of 24Mbps. Afaik all it requires is a card exchange.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Ah, didn't know about that. What's involved with ADSL2 then? Does it work with existing hardware, or do you need to buy a new modem? And I assume there'll be an installation charge...?

4. saeco

saeco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    im using aol 512kbps but 10mbps... wowwww, that's blazingly fast. that's like network cable connection. Is it cheap?

5. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    £37.99 a month

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I think you’ll have to buy a new modem, however some of the modems recently released are compatible. There will be a regrade charge but that willprobably only be around £15. Here’s some blurb:

ADSL2 or ADSL2+ is the next step in the evolution of ADSL. Currently it is not a ratified standard so we will not be seeing in deployed on the UK Local Loop, but it is set to supersede the existing G.DMT and G.Lite standards.

What does ADSL2 promise, well the frequency range used now tops out at 2.2MHz, which means up to 20Mbps downstream speed if a line is less than 8000 feet (~2.5km) and at existing speeds adds an extra 600 feet to the reach of the service. Interestingly it is designed to be interoperable with existing ADSL services, though whether existing DSLAMs will support it via simple firmware upgrades is unclear at this time.

Some of the failings of ADSL are also addressed, in particular with ADSL2 it will be possible to bond lines to produce a true 30 or 40Mbps downstream. Bonding is very attractive for people near the edge of ADSL reach, since any single line is heavily speed limited, but by providing two lines they could obtain the same speeds as someone nearer the exchange. To improve the deployment and fault finding stages of ADSL, the new standard encompasses an enhanced set of diagnostic tools.

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    They still don't mention what they're going to do with upload speeds, we can't just carry on with 300kbps can we? It's getting silly now!

Actually, I read recently that the 10Mbps will be consistent to all users, but that you pay according to what you download, up to a maximum of 75GB/month. I assume the 75GB limit will be the £37.99 price band, but if you use less, you will be charged less.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Personally I feel that we should be charged for what we use instead of speed. There should be say 20gb, 75gb and 150gb packages for example which cost say £25, £40 & £60 each (obviously that's just an example for illustration reasons). The speed should be the same for all connections.

The way it is now is a bit daft IMO. Virtually everything else we buy is charged by quantity. As download speeds become less important I can only see companies looking to charge for what quantity is downloaded instead.

EDIT: I agree though that upload speeds need to be increased for the benefit of online gaming. If they can do 10mb/s down then they should be anle to do 1 mb/s up.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I think some of the new users of 8mb lines are getting upload speeds of over 400kbps. I have no idea what they would be on a 24mb line! :eek:

10. bigriggers

bigriggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Can somebody enlighten me on this whole ADSL thing?
    As far as I understand it, you can only get a decent speed if you are within 2km of the exchange. If this is correct, then surely this excludes a massive amount of homes in the UK? Have they any plans to extend the reach? :confused:
    8mbps....droooool! :(

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    There's some more info here.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    It is speculated over at ADSL Guide that the 10:1 ratio of down to up may be kept, which could mean a 1Mbps upstream for me soon! :thumbsup: :cool:

13. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    To be honest its content rather than a speed increase that I crave - Im on the 3Mb connection at the moment and althogh an increase to 10Mb will be more than welcome I want to see the ISPs provide more content. I was a member of the Broadband Plus service for a while which mainly offered music videos etc ... As the entertainment devices all start to have internet connections I'm finding I watch a lot of my stuff via the web - gaming previews, music videos etc etc .. What I want to see is more high resolution content being offered by the ISP, sports, news, music etc etc ... At the moment I doubt wether anyone could use 10Mbps link fully without resorting to something illegal (file sharing etc .. ).

Im just hoping that this speed increase will herald the start of better content offerings from the ISPs !

Nige

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I agree Nigel. I’ve recently upgraded to a 2mb line and whilst it is pleasant to be able to download game demo’s and mp3’s a lot quicker it’d be nice to be able to download other content to take full advantage. I’m sure online movie distribution isn’t far off…

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    I can't see ISP's offering better content - TBH i've never even considered watching any content provided by NTL as I just see them as a provider of my internet service. I get my content from other sites like Gamespot etc and just like anything you usually have to pay extra for that content.

I would imaging that we will start getting a lot more TV shows (like what is being piloted now with BBC3 etc) streamed on the net and the faster the download speed the better the quality they will be. Once the quality gets good enough (say 720p streaming) then watching TV over broadband could easilty replace standard TV delivery methods (Satelite, Cable & Arial). VOD would be a 100% reality then as you could effectively flick through a weeks scheduled programming and watch shows whenever you want (apart from live events which obviously would need to be viewed live or after the event). If I was Sky then i'd be seriously looking at getting involved here.

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Well it can only be a matter of time before NTL etc start merging their internet and TV operations surely? It makes sense doesn't it, that they could offer VOD through internet connections? I wonder what network speed you would need to stream 720P - is 10Mbps enough?

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Not sure to be honest but it can't be that far off. I can stream decent quality video with 2mb. Even if it couldn't stream it fully I guess there's the option to cache some of the programme using a HD. It would be class though to be able to go through say 1 weeks listing and just select what you want to watch from those listings to watch there and then. The whole scheduled TV thing is so antiquated compared to the rest of the internet. Can you imagine only being able to download something between say 7&8pm, or view a website on Saturday at 3PM?

It's another one of those "that's the way it's always been" things that will sadly take a bit of time to change. There's always a strange sector of people who are against anything different as they like to know where they are with everything! :rolleyes: The best way is to probably just run to a schedule (like we do now) but offer the option for people to simply add programmes to their VOD list if they wish.

18. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I like that idea - E4 got on that bandwagon being able to watch the next episode of some programs early ... it would be like sky+ but reveresed ... Due to a very busy work like I very rarley get to watch anything at its alloted time so either find myself catching up with stuff recorded on sky+ on my archos at 36,000 ft or at 3am in the house when all is quiet .. Being able to say "ah I have a few hours free lets watch a few bits now " would be cool ! And of course the first thing Id watch in advance would be the footie then once I knew the score place a bet ! ;)

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    Indeed, Monkeyleader. I work evenings mainly so miss a lot of decent TV. To be able to have a scan through the schedules and watch what i've missed when I get home or perhaps the next morning would be great. I know that Sky + is a good step towards this, but you still have to remember to set certain programs to record in advance. To have entire freedom to view any recorded program when ever you wanted in that specific week would be superb.

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’ve heard that it would need to be twice that figure to stream HD content without any slowdown.

21. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    NTL have been testing EURO1080 HD-1 and HD-2 over ADSL+2 for over a year acording to the Technical Director of Euro1080.

I another Thread they say they was using ADSL+2 18mb.

Telewest and NTL say by 2007 they should be able to give us speeds of upto 30 - 50mb

22. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently with telewest broadband 2mb and called them today to cancel as moving house...the nice man on the phone then told me it was a shame i was cancelling as from the middle of September the 1mb is being increased to 4mb and the 2mb is increasing to 10mb at no extra cost. I think the 512 is also going up to 1mb but don't quote me on that...needless to say that won me over and am now planning on having a cable guy fit me a broadband line in my new home in anticipation of this as with unlimited d/l's seems like a bargain to me!!

23. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    As long as the content comes with it then Im happy enuff .. no suitable content and whats the point ?

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,727
    The content is the internet as a whole. I never even go onto the NTL homepage TBH but the high speeds will be great for streaming TV shows, large downloads and other video content.

25. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i made a thread you may have missed. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234335&highlight=10mb+broadband

got a link to the official BY press release as well

pity NTL and BY are merging in the near future because i can see cap's coming into play