Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

NTL/Telewest Cable HDTV via HTPC

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by PRINCEGRINCH, May 12, 2005.

1. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, I recieve my Telewest Channels via my PC. Can someone please confirm that when Cable goes HDTV, will my PC be out-putting a TRUE HDTV Signal? At the moment I up-convert the signal via FFDSHOW Software.

I really need to know as I plan on watch WC Footy on the Projector.

Thanks

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Probably.....but when ?

3. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I read somewhere that NTL and Telewest are to merge in Jan 06, and they will launch HDTV Cable with it.

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I would be fascinated to know where you saw this information. NTL apparently have a couple of hard wires in their cable sytem which are doing nothing at the present time. They have been doing some experiments which point towards them using them to transmit a couple HD channels. Not sure what this means in terms of new boxes etc, or a full time service. We can only wait and see.

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi.

Can you please explain to me how you are recieving your channels with your PC? Do you not use a set top box at all?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The Guardian reported that a merger was once again on the cards, still very much speculation and a whole host of issues to be resolved before anything serious could be considered.
    The Reg Article

Early this year NTL trialed ADSL2+ which is what would be needed to deliver data suitable for both SD and HD video in the hopes of extending it's coverage and capabilities without massive investment in the infrastructure.

An actual HD service is a long way away from both TW and NTL even if they do merge since it will require brand new STB's and actual HD content which may be a problem. Still TW say that there new DVR/PVR has HD capabilities although I do not know if that is thanks to mpegII which would be very short sighted or the more future proof mpeg4, depends upon which US STB's the TW boxes have been cloned from.

7. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pulsar: I recieve the channels via a DVB-C PCI Card. There is no set-top box hooked up with my PC.

8. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pulsar: Sorry, I could not receive your PM as my inbox was full. Please can you send it again.

Thanks

9. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pulsar: PM Sent, but just incase you did not receive it.

"The coaxial cable is connected directly to the back of the DVB-C Card. As for the viewing Card, you can view all the Channels with or without it. To view channels with the Card you need the optional CI PCI interface. To view it without, you just need softcam software, which automaticallly updates itself when NTL/Telewest update the keys"

If you have any more questions, then please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

10. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My PC AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with the DVB-C Cable Card (NTL/Telewest) is up for sale in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.

11. ttone

ttone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Princegrinch

I am interested in you comment about a PC card that allows you to view NTL channels without going throught the Set top box. Does this mean you do not use the subscription card. I'm and interested as I am just about to build a HTPC and would obviously like to get rid of my NTL box.

Cheers
    Tony

12. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ttone: You do NOT require a Set-top box or a viewing Card (the software acts as a viewing card). Although you can optionally use the viewing card with an optional PCI CI interface Card.

13. ttone

ttone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it legal?

14. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ttone: Where or not it is legal ultimately depends on you. You can receive ALL the channels including BOX OFFICE/FRONT ROW/PREMIUM/BOX OFFICE LIVE EVENTS/RADIO without paying a penny for subcription. But its up to you to choose whether or not to view them without subscription.

Like I have said in the thread in the classifieds where I have put my PC up for sale, "Please DO NOT VIEW IF YOU DO NOT SUBSCRIBE", and to delete the channels.

At the end of day it all depends on you. "A knife is an useful tool, but if used in the wrong way can be dangerous and illegal".

15. ttone

ttone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one, you do not mension the manufacturer in the ad, do you have a link so I can read up on it, I may be interested!!

16. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sure I mentioned it in reply to someones post. Anyway the Card(s) are: TT C-1000 & the TT C-2100, both of which have been discontinued. The new ones do not work.

17. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    if you computer contains decryption keys and software to decode a subscription service then what you are selling is illegal.

same deal with the dbox2. Only way these can legally be sold is without software that is compatible with UK cable.

18. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1080 jawbreaker: I am selling the computer with or without the DVB-C card (+ £150 with DVB-C). If you subscribe to the channels and view them, then it is not illegal. It just saves you from the hassle of:

1) Re-Wiring
    2) New installation
    3) Record to PC without buying a DVD Recorder
    4) Time-Shift like Sky+ (standard 1 hour back, more if you require)
    5) Better quality than a set-top box

I could go on n on n on, but the main thing is if you use it legally then there is no problem. I have clearly stated in my ad to delete channels if you do not subscribe. Therefore I am not selling anything illegal.

You can also use it to view Free-view TV.

19. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +773
    the argument that just because you have a subscription doesnt make it ok to view the same channels via cam emulation. If the softcam.key and or autoupdate.xml files are present at time of sale you could be in a whole heap of trouble. :(

20. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

I've not heard much on when Telewest are going to be launching their new set top box, I don't think it is too far away though as they have been trialing it for ages now. I will try and get a link which shows a pic of the box they are looking at right now, it is definately HD ready though! (HDMI)

I can only guess it will be launched sometime after they have rolled out their TV on demand this June.

21. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    NTL and Telewest are going to be merging in the near future, plans are already being made within ntl to intergrate both companies versions of their customer databases's. Telewest have a newer version and ntl want it.
    Also ntl are currently testing an stb with a harddrive but I'm not sure if this will be HD ready.
    If ntl is anything to go by it will wait until sky's HD service takes off and then play catch up.(it's NTL's way)

22. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NTL couldn't catch up if Sky did nothing for the next decade. They've been talking about bringing in decent interactive services etc for 3-4 years now and still haven't really done it. They're probably sticking a 20GB or less hard drive in their boxes and will miss out some vital connector.
    Some of ntl's channel come from sky anyway and we know they don't always let them have the same features/ws etc, so would probably prevent them using hd for a while anyway.

I assume this integrated database thing will be more successful that NTL's integrated billing system which is as likely as a Labour party election pledge.