NTL STB that works with Artisan/MCE

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by netley, Jul 18, 2005.

1. netley

netley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me if they got an NTL cable STB to work properly with their Artisan- is how and which model

NTL tell me that I might be able to get a PACE 1000, 4000 or 2000- my Samsung works for some numbers when manually programmed

If not could I bridge the issue with a learning remote- prob not because I need to get the IR blaster to use the NTL STBs language

Help!

2. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Got py pace 4000 working with DMSII but had the same problem as you with the Samsung

3. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Are the Samsung Boxes like the pace ones and use IRDA instead of infra red, in which case you need to get the redeye IRDA convertor, lots of links on this forum about it. Ive got my Pace 1000 box working with MCE2005 no problem using this.

4. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pace di4001n (ntl)
    no red eye needed, all working fine with mce including channels with repeated numbers, e.g. 111, 122 etc.

The only thing is the pace boxes only support 1mb broadband,....if you want faster you have to go for a samsung box (hence my reluctance as I havent heard of anybody getting a samsung working yet)

5. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    No they use normal IR but cannot deal with channel changes that have a double digit i.e 144, 111 etc you will normally end up on channel 1

6. netley

netley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all

NTL have offered to swap from the Samsung to a PACE 4000-I have also ordered one of those redeye things- so presume I should be sorted?

Thanks for help

7. netley

netley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone able to help with configuring the artisan for the best picture quality from NTL STB
    S Video isnt supported by NTL so it has to be RF or composite but both arevery washed out compared to the scart connection direct from the STB to the plasma screen
    I am using a VGA connection for picture at the moment because I cant get DVI to HDMI cable to work but the screen looks relatively crisp so dont undrestand why the NTL picture is so poor any ideas?

8. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    don't know if this is of help, but I have a TIVO and after reading around the forums, the way they made the TIVO work with the Boxes having the double digit problem is to send 1 <useless key> 1 <useless key> 1

The Samsung probably has the "fancy feature" that the keys change IR code for alternate keypresses. Thus 111 is really 1a 1b 1a, where 1a and 1b are the two codes for 1. This is done to make the IR more reliable/faster. Thus inserting an key which won't stop the channel change was the solution. So if you can implement this somehow, this could fix the problem. Otherwise PACE 4000 boxes for both Telewest and NTL behave much more normally.

9. netley

netley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the record the combo of Pace 4000 and redeye works perfectly on all channel numbers

Just wish I could improve picture quality as it is so sub standard