1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL speed upgrades now available

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Munkey Boy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Just in case anyone else in here is on NTL, their free speed upgrades are now available. Just go to the website and you can do it online.

The three options are:
    1Mbps down 100kbps up £17.99
    2Mbps down 200kbps up £24.99
    3Mbps down 300kbps up £37.99.

Enjoy :D

2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Cheers for that! Although just tried it and it says that my user name isn't associated with my cable modem :mad: although it's the only one i've ever used lol.
    Grrr I forsee a 2 hour phone call to NTL :(

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Great. Thanks for that link. Nice to see they have finally got round to doing the upgrade. Have upgraded mine just this moment. For just this one time, and one time only, I love ntl. (EDIT: Btw I'm now officially faster than T1 :) )

4. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    i should be upgraded to 1MB from 300K but theres only the option for 2&3MB upgrade so it looks like all of us with 300k will have to wait until the 15th of march to get our upgrades.

5. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i thought it was automatic?

i am currently 750k - lets see if i can get my free upgrade to 2mb...

i will give it a go and see what happens....

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    1gb per day download limit though... not sure if i should do this or not, ive got 1.5mb at the moment but no download limit, and i download a lot more than a gig a day on average. I downloaded about 6 or 7gb yesterday..

actually that works out to less than 1 hour at full capacity per day.. definitely not worth it

7. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    forget that, i just phoned them to find out about the speeds

3mb = 300k upload
    2mb = 200k upload
    that is an appaling upload speed
    1gb per day download for all speeds, just last night i downloaded 1.7gb of videos.
    if they kept it to 30gb a month like they said, i would go for it because i dont download that much, but on occasions i do go way over 1gb a day. Thats bad because i play a lot of online games :(
    First thing i said when i got off the phone was "i might change isp now"

8. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    lol,always the same cr@p from people that like to complain.

First of all NTL's service is already capped at 1 gig download a day,has been for quite some time its just that its not enforced much(I imagine unless someone really takes the :censored: ,or if an indivduals heavy usage is having an impact on other customers,ie in area with poor quality networks,etc)Marc_Angelus,if you download 7 gig a day regularly I think you would agree that they are quite casual about the cap at the moment(but youve been lucky not to get a call from your freindly NTL advisor yet ;) ) Wether NTL will suddenly start monitoring usage more closely now is debateable but I think it is unlikley.

I agree those upload speeds are poor but they are still an increase on what NTL has been providing so far,so your point is? :confused:

Fact of the matter is ,its a FREE SPEED UPGRADE,and although IMO it could have been done a while ago,its still an increase in what we are paying for with no increase in what we pay :smashin:

Always amuses me that the whiners and complainers still find time to have a moan about something :rotfl:

EDIT:Just read this on their website:
    What happens if I reach my usage allowance?

Customers with the existing services or 2Mb & 3Mb (1GB per day)
    Ntl reserves the right to contact customers who regularly exceed their daily usage allowance, where such excessive use impacts the quality of service for other ntl broadband customers.
    ------------------------------------
    Which has been their policy all along AFAIK ;)

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    there's a lot of talk on various broadband forums that they'll be capping the speed to 56k if you go over 1gb a day, which would be really annoying. I don't download 7 gig a day, i just happen to have some rather large torrents going at the moment, but on the whole i'd say i go over 1gb a day 20 days of the month, especially at the moment where i've not got a job so i'm at home all day. I've been doing that for years, and never been warned, but maybe i don't live in a high usage area, so it's not a problem for them.

oh and as an example of how it will be annoying if they cap. i downloaded the splinter cell chaos theory demo the other day, 617mb. After about 450mb ish, it cut out and i had to start it again, meaning by the time that it downloaded the 2nd time, i had gone over 1gb, and that was just getting one demo, which took an hour or so each time. so 22 hours with no internet left... great!

10. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Excellent news :)
    I have read that NTL may well be trialling speeds of up to 18Mb download this year as well!

It's not all doom and gloom for us that rely on a telephone wire though, most ISP's should be offering free speed regrades soon as well.
    I'm with Plusnet and all customers are being regraded to 2Mb and a few initial lucky ones are being trialled in BT's MaxDSL project which gives 4-8Mb download with 0.4-0.8Mb upload and at no extra cost :thumbsup:

11. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    actualy i have never complained about their service so it cant be crap, and i dont "like" complaining either. :mad:
    but if the new speeds are going to affect the way i use the net then i have every right to say what i want about it without people overlooking me
    Its not a FREE SPEED UPGRADE is it ? it costs you your usage. To some people thats more important

12. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    errrr,how can I say this?YOU ARE ALREADY ON A CAPPED SERVICE!How is this costing you your usage?

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i talked to a woman from ntl business broadband, and their 1.5mb business package is only £34.99 a month, with a lower contention ratio than the home package, and no ports are blocked (which suggests they are on the home package) and there are no upload or download limits whatsoever.

She informed me that when that gets upgraded to 3mb (which wont be for ages unfortunately) the price will stay the same, as will the lack of restrictions. This is definitely something worth keeping an eye on!

14. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I can't see the benefit of these services for on-line gamers and 'downloaders'.

I was on a 512k server which NTL upgraded to 750k (@£24.99 /per month). As this is less that the 1mb service they offer, it IS NOT CAPPED. My contract only talks about 'taking the wee wee'. If you look at the 'ntl Broadband usage allowance guidlines' it clearly highlights the 1mb (3gb) and talks about the 2 and 3mb (1gb) per day server allowance against all other services.

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband click 'what does this mean' at bottom of page.

Take Sending or receiving emails with attachments (e.g. a digital photo) for instance. This allows 45 to be sent in the month (3gb) limit.
    for all other services it's 800 per month, which if you do the math is approx 50GB limit

or in the case of Watching videos - 1 hour per week restricted, 6 hours per week non restricted which translate to 18gb/ per month on non restricted service.

effectively all other services < 1mb are unrestricted unless you possibly 'take the wee wee'

It also states that at a later date

'customers who exceed their data allowance in any given month will be given options, which may include, for example.....

Choose to use the service for the remainder of the month at a lower speed'

and therefore I assume not incurre a capped download limit.

The problem is that existing customers will automatically be upgraded to these services and lose their existing rights - What a bummer.
    It's just NTL restructuring their prices to get more money out you.

Len

15. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked out the business rates,

Seems that if you go Business 750k @ £24.99/month then you're back to where you started..........!

Len

----------

Everything a small business needs for the high-speed internet economy... 750K broadband for only £24.99 a month, including:

750K Broadband internet access – up to 13 times faster than dial-up!
    24/7 Business support service for single user applications
    10 Email addresses (accessible by POP3 or Webmail)
    60Mb Web space (more available if required)
    Free domain name*
    Free domain transfer of your existing domain**
    Access to the 'Business Essentials' portal and member services

16. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Now thats what i like to see, a man who's optimistic :D

17. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    ok i have just come off a 25 min phone call with ntl (no that wasnt the waiting time) i was making sure i found out every thing :p
    details are....

ALL customers are on a 30gbpm limit anyway, even the 300k, 750k and 1.5mb users, but no one has been heavily going over that month after month, so they havent capped any one yet.
    the speed is being upgraded but the cap is staying the same at 30gb.
    Its not 1gb per day, they say that just so its easier for the ones who dont understand computers, internet, speeds, sizes etc as much as most of us here.It IS actualy 30 a month.
    2mb and 3mb are not active in most parts of the country yet, you will be sent a letter when its ready within 6 weeks.
    Some time after that it will be forced on every customer.
    When your download limit is reached, you can still borwse the net, play games, check email and so on. You can not download.

Looks all good to me, i dont d/l 30gb a month :)

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    To be fair to NTL they seem to have got the customer service side sorted somewhat. :thumbsup: After a short hold (on a freephone number as well!) I got through to a helpfull lass who sorted it for me in a mater of minutes! Checked my speed and i'm getting 2MB down & around 220k up (which is a vast improvement over the 128k I was getting before & presume is supposed to be 256k up).

I wasn't aware that they were increasing the upload but it's a nice suprise!

Anyway well done NTL, can't say i've said that before but this time i'm very impressed! Downloads just fly now! :thumbsup:

19. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yer I wasnt aware they were upping the uplink speed - nice one. I did mine yesterday but they messed it up - I subscribe to broadband plus and apparantly those customers who do are given a restricted IP address when they upgrade which only allows access to the NTL registration page - another phone call sorted it out and I'm now on 3mb as you can see from here Looks like the contention during the day is keeping my limits below a mb but as you can see middle of the night it hit 2.5mb :)

20. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    upgraded my 750k to 2mb last night as well. yet to do any proper tests. will try later tonight.

21. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    and you're happy about that??? If you're on 3mb you should get 350kb/s - 360kb/s (and that's kilobytes) more or less constantly, if i was getting 1mb during the day and 2.5mb at night i'd be wondering why i was paying for 3mb!

22. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Monkey Leader - I wouldn't use that checker it's very inacurate. Try this one http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=99296e4010291320be399296e40
    I'm on 2mb and get pretty good figures. When downloading the checker from TCP/IQ my download speed didn't go above 128kb/s but for everything else i've downloaded my speed has been around 250kb/s. When I do the TCP/IQ test I get a pathetic 760kb/s which is obviously wrong and a result of getting to their server (not my connection).

The link above shows my test results that i've just done, however i've had the "actual speed" above 2000. I'm personally VERY happy with the speed increase and my downloads simply fly down now. Downloading small files (say 3mb) are done in a matter of seconds! :thumbsup:

23. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Excellent download speed but your upload is a bit low?

EDIT
    Sorry, just re-read thread
    Spot on mate, pretty much max'd out :)

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    Yeah the speeds are great - can't grumble, i've actually had them better than that as well. I've tested quite a few times now at various times of the day & the speeds seem to hold up well all coming around the speeds posted above. :thumbsup:

25. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Just upgraded mine to 2mb service :thumbsup:

26. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Not NTL but I've just signed up to Bulldog's 4MB (700Kb upload) £19.50 a month :)

Hopefully they'll be better than their reputation....

27. sh18

sh18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    phoned NTL yesterday and the woman i spoke to said there were no limits at all for the 1mb upgrade, not sure if this is true though.

28. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    do you have to sign up with their telephone exchange at £10.50 a month as well?

29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,834
    They don't have a cap as such but they have a limit of 30gb a month I think that if broken consistently they hold the right to contact you about your useage. This is pretty much just to cover their backs incase they get too many heavy users clogging the system up. I used to download at least this amount if not more some months but was never contacted about my useage.