NTL Set top box models

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Apnomis, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Are there any differences between the various models of set top box used by NTL? I've heard that newer ones are much faster and offer far more interactive options, and also have an optical link for digital sound!!! Is this true or was someone winding me up?

I know I've seen digital terrestrial stb's that say they offer optical connections and 5.1 surround sound, but does digital TV broadcast 5.1 signals?

There does seem to be far better cable boxes available than the old thing I use, but I don't know if NTL use them, can you request NTL give you a new one? Would it give you access to new/faster services? Will the optical link work?

I've noticed quite a lot of the NTL adverts show a blue control that has a completely different layout to mine, is that a newer box?

What are the advantages of a newer box, is it like getting a new terrestrial stb because I know the difference in quality and content of those can vary hugely.

Can you buy a better box that would work with the NTL cable, like you can buy Sky boxes?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Apnomis - I queried this with the NTL engineer who came to replace my NTL digi-box for the 8th time in 3 months and again in a complaint letter to the CEO office.

The combination of the replies I received is that only certain models of the boxes work in certain areas - unfortuantly only the oldest boxes work on the network in my local area and therefore I cannot get or buy a more recent version. They did say they are in the process of creating a new version of the boxes but were unwilling to comment on if this will be usable in my area or timescales.

As to 5.1 sound/ optical connection - the engineer had never heard of this (slightly concerning) and then tried to say that the analog stereo outputs were digital surround sound (even more of an issue). The HO however said they currently have no plans for digital sound - and given the picture quality issues I have with the bandwidth they allow each channel I dont think the service would be worthwhile anyway.

This all could be the usual rubbish that NTL peddle as customer service but this is what they told me

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Only Sky transmit 5.1 sound in the UK, and this is only on a couple of channels and not for all programs. Many Freeview STBs and the new Sky boxes along with all Sky+ boxes have an optical output that is capable of carrying 5.1 sound to an AV receiver/processor but this is pointless unless the transmission is 5.1 which in most cases it is not.
    The optical outputs are good however at getting a good clean stereo signal to an amp without many of the normal interference problems you can get from a standard analogue stereo signal. And of course the STB with optical is future proof should Freeview etc ever start to transmit in 5.1 (I wont hold my breath!).

Mark.