Ntl Samsung Box To Plasma

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by JAYKAYZ, Jun 3, 2005.

1. JAYKAYZ

JAYKAYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I have just purchased a new Pioneer Plasma. I purchased it without a tuner hoping that I could use by NTL set top box. My Pioneer DVD player is connected using a S-Video Cable directly to my Plasma and Optical Out to my Sony AV Amp. This sounds and looks great!

The NTL Set top box is connected using a Scart to Component R+W to Amp for Sound and Yellow to Video In on my Plasma. However, the picture quality when watching Cable isn't great. I was considering using a scart to 3 way RGB component lead (Profigold PGV372) to improve quality but I have been advised the following:

"Unless you can set the NTL box to output YUV component (unlikely) it will
    not work."

As the NTL only has a scart output and I don't have scart in the back of the plasma is there an alternative to improving the picture quality?

Regards
    JayKayz

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    JAYKAYZ

Which Pioneer Display model have you purchased?

Best regards

Joe

3. JAYKAYZ

JAYKAYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The model is a PIONEER PDP-43MXE1.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    JAYKAYZ

Your NTL box has a SCART Output socket which can be set to Output RGB* or Composite; currently your using Composite.

Your MXE1 has the ability to Input RGB* or YUV 'Component' signals - along with S-Video and Composite.

(*Note - there are variations on the RGB theme and the one output by the NTL box is not compatible with the RGB Input on the MXE1).

To enable RGB or YUV between your Digibox and MXE1 you need to employ a piece of active electronics - as the two devices are currently incompatible.

We tend to use and supply the RGB2VGA or RGB2YUV converters from JS Technology along with suitable cable kits to achieve decent connectivity between your devices.

A converter plus cables will cost you around £200.00 - see http://www.js-technology.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=12cc6978ada49e462f01bd0f06610b55

An alternative is to consider a Video Processor - this will cost you upwards of £700.00 and has the ability to Input, Process and Switch a whole host of signals and improve the image you see on screen.

Best regards

Joe

5. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Another expensive option could be to upgrade your DVD player to one with component ouputs. This would free up your S-Video plasma input for the NTL box which is an easy conversion from a scart connector. This is a good improvement over your current composite signal and prefectly fine for TV picture

The DVD component picture would be optimal and given the right DVD player you could also send a progressive signal over component which would improve the picture even further.

I guess this expense isn't quite what you had in mind but I'd consider this before looking at an electronic signal converter

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Prism666

Not sure I follow that one :)

The NTL box doesn't have S-Video as an output option so you require an RGB2S-Video converter + cables at around £100.00.

If you go with the RGB2YUV or RGB2VGA converter you can run both the DVD and Digibox through the processor as they both output RGB on SCART - you may need an RGB switch if the NTL has only One SCART socket.

Best regards

Joe

7. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Hello Prism666

A SCART connector can 'carry' RGB, S-Video and Composite signals but the source device has to produce the appropriate signal.

The NTL box (like the majority of STB's) only Output RGB or Composite.

The cables you link to are designed to carry an S-Video signal that the source device is outputting - plug them into the NTL box and you get no image at the S-Video end of the cable.

Best regards

Joe

9. JAYKAYZ

JAYKAYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys Thanks for all your help. Just one more question, I read a thread in which someone reckons that SKY+ has an S-Video out. Is this an option if I replace my NTL STB?

If not I will buy the box that Joe has recommended me thinks.

Regards
    Jay

10. albany

albany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Samsung NTL STB and have ordered a Pioneer DVR-920 recorder. Will I still need a convertor to send RGB from the box to the recorder?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    albany

Pretty much any SCART cable will allow you to pass RGB between your Set-top and DVD Recorder without having to invest in a signal converter; though the better the quality the SCART cable the less chance you have of messing up the signal.

You'll need to ensure YOU set the Set-top to Output RGB and the Recorder to Input RGB - otherwise you may end up viewing and recording Composite.

Best regards

Joe

PS - What's the world coming to - how did you mange to acquire a DVR-920 and not get offered the option to purchase expensive SCART cables :)

12. albany

albany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx, I appreciate that.

13. albany

albany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the beauty of ordering on the internet. You just check the box you want and don't have a pretty girl twisting your arm for shoe polish to go with your new Nikes. :clap:

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    albany

I'd say that's the problem with web site developers - they're not salesman; otherwise your shopping cart would fill up with the suede spray automatically :smashin:

Joe