NTL, RGB-svideo / component, cheap scaler????

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by SeanT, Apr 2, 2005.

1. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Hi all, I have one of the little Sonix 26 inch LCDs, and am currently running my DVD player through it using progressive scan component and everything else via s-video.
    I had to get an RGB- S video converter to use with the NTL box, which was good and cheap and let me break out the audio output to the amp. The Pace NTL box is very limited in connectivity, no audio outs or s video, and this method certainly looks better than using RGB over scart.

I was wondering:

Who else has this sort of setup with the NTL box?
    How other people have done it?
    How much difference would I see using an RGB-component converter?
    Would a cheap scaler and retaining the RGB-svideo box make as much of a difference, more or less? (it would certainly let me run everything through the best input on the telly, either component, RGB or DVI!)
    Are there any scalers that accept RGB input via scart or whatever, or would I need a RGB-component box regardless (making this the logical next step if it makes much difference)???

Oh, and is there anyone around coventry who could lend me a scaler or RGB-component widget to see what a difference it makes (again, if any!)

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I now have a Samsung box, unlike my previous Pace it has no audio only 2 SCARTs.

I'm using the JS Tech. SCART->S-Video to extract audio and feed and LCD TV and also using the second SCART into a Lumgen HDP .. obviously this is more expensive than you're looking at, not sure what inputs something like the older iScan Ultra or Lumagen Visions have, they'd be more appropriate for your LCD.

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Also been looking at running it through the PC as I already have an old TV card and a DVI output on a nice graphics card - hopefully I can get it up and running this way at the cost of just a DVI-D lead and decide whether I think it makes much difference or whether it's more the poor feed from the NTL box that is the issue...

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you considered a Scart that goes to four phonos that carry the picture plus sync and also two phono for audio?
    You could then run it into a RGB to S or component convertor.
    I'll see if i can find a picture.

I should be able to put it up here on monday.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The feed from NTL is pretty noisy IMX, hence the RGB not looking that much better than S-Video .. it'd be nice if Lumagen had some NR capability.

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Eddy Boy, I already run an RGB-svid converter box (the lecktropacks one) with audio out on RCAs, all sorted and running, I'm wondering what difference a better converter could make (ie. component or a scaler) or if the problem is rooted deep within the little pace pos....

7. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well component is better as a format and if combined with a scaler will produce better results on larger TVs. Sorry couldn't upload the diagram it said sever not found.