ntl & PVRs

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by eeper, Sep 16, 2003.

1. eeper

eeper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I'm currently tossing up between Sky and ntl to provide digital tv. I know that sky have a funky sky+ box that allows you to pause live tv and record series. Is there any equivalent for ntl, either provided by them or by a 3rd party?

I would really prefer to go with ntl, to avoid giving that Murdoch bloke any more money, but that sky+ box is just so tempting...

Any thoughts?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A TIvo if you can find one!!!!!!
    But ntl pay Sky (Murdoch ) for Sky 1 Sky movies etc so he will get your money eventually Pace Twin Freeview is like Sky+ for freeview and murdoch gets not a penny!!!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    NTL are skint, even after the restructuring they have little money to invest in new hardware, that is the weakness of supplying STB's on loan for each and every TV subscriber, they have to pay the STB supplier upfront for all new hardware.
    Phone and internet arms of the business are sound but there is little evidence of a sustained growth in their digital TV arm which would allow them to offer their own PVR type machines.

TIVO of course works fine with NTL and you can pick up those machines on auction sites and the channel listing services is still in business so you can use the system to it's full potential.

I am biased after having used SKY+ for two years but the concept is good but occasionaly let down by some less than perfect manufacturing and the usual flakey software. It seems to me that all comsumer electronic manufacturers threw out decades of reliabilty when it came to making digital STB's for all platforms:(

SKY+ can still be ordered online for £199 with £1 installation, the £10 sub is still in place but will be removed for premium channel subscribers (Who have two or more premium channels) from the 1st October. It is expected that the installation fee will go back to £50 next month but the other side if the decision is the longer you wait the more likely you are to see the release of the Amstrad SKY+ and any of the other SKY+ versions that have been rumoured to exist.