NTL Pace box...

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Apnomis, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have NTL and a Pace STB. I wanted to use my Pioneer 2011's learning control to control it.

I've successfully set it up to replace my DVD control, TV control and VHS control, so I was kind of hoping I could program it to my STB and have one Universal control to control everything in my room.

Unfortunately Pace wasn't a listed model under STB, and when I tried to get it to learn the key commands, even though it registered as receiving the signal ok, the STB won't recognise it.

I've since heard that NTHell have put something in the remote signal to prevent "learning controls" from mimicking the signal, so you have to buy a remote from them instead. Is that true?

I notice now that NTL do a blue Samsung STB, Samsung is a make of STB registered in my remote, would that work or will be same signal mask be present? Also can you just request an upgrade to a Samsung box (as you don't own the box like Sky) or is the Samsung box only available in certain areas?

Thanks...

2. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most learning remotes output normal IR which is commonly used by every remote type, except NTL. The NTL boxes use an IRDA signal which very few learning remotes can copy, however I think a few of the new Pace boxes output normal IR I am not sure though.

Never heard of the Samsung box, if it's available in your area, phone NTL and ask to swap the boxes or you'll cancel the subscription. I would think the remote signals would be the same, but I doubt the samsung code is for the digital cable set-top box.

Rich

3. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing to do with forcing you to buy their remote - NTL chose a wierd infra-red remote system to allow the possibility of multi-player games (as if anyone would want to play expensive games on their clunky STBs....).
    Anyway there is a solution to this - the Red-Eye Translator

4. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After an over the phone download, my One For All 6 remote works with my NTL STB.