1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL over s-video reception rubbish

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Stimpy, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have finally got my LG 42pz14.
    The setup is as follows.
    DVD S-Video out to AV amp
    NTL S-Video out to AV amp
    VCR composite to Composite to Svideo converter to AV amp
    AV amp S-Video out of ProV.
    ProV VGA out to plasma.

I am very happy with the DVD playback, I know that RGB would be better, but to my eyes it looks great.
    VHS is also much better than expected, infact it is probably better than the NTL signal.
    On NTL I get some strange shimmering effect, especially with bold colours, especially purple and in general it looks like I am watching a program printed on canvas. It goes away if I view NTL via the VCR (i.e. over composite), but then I get interferance patters on strong movements.
    Unfortunatly my NTL digi box does not have RGB out.

The ProV is set to 1024x768 output (gives the sharpest image, especially for DVD).

I use good quality QED cables throughout.

Any ideas how I can clean the signal up. Or is it due to the heavy compression that NTL use??

2. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you sure you don't have RGB out on you NTL box, surely it has scart sockets, and if so there must be an option in the setup for RGB.
    I do not have an s-video option on mine only composite or RGB.

Ken

3. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-Video is via the SCART. There is no RGB option in the setup screen. Only composite and S-video.

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stimpy,

What is the model of your NTL box, usually printed underneath.

My NTL box is 4000 series, and the SCART only allows Composite or RGB from the setup screen. I don't remember ever seeing an NTL box that supports SVideo.

James

5. Phatboy

Phatboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a similar ntl output problem. I too only have S-Video output from my Ntl digibox!

Its one of the latter versions that uses proper IR signals. I can teach my Pronto with the ntl remote. I don't think you can with the older boxes.

6. JamieD

JamieD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stimpy! Can I ask you what convertor you are using? I got the one from Maplins for £4.99, which is RCA (phono) female and S-video female. The pain is that you need a regular phono cable to connect and then another regular S-video lead to connect to the amp/tv etc. So, lots of links, lots of picture loss, for a lousy signal anyway (VCR composite).

Mine's functional, i.e. the wife doesn't mind it, but it drives me mad, and I saw this yesterday which looks mighty tempting, but is it worth $25? http://www.svideo.com/rcatosvideo.html

Anyone, know of one available in this country? The other benefit of this convertor is that it was has a male s-video end, so I can boff it straight into the back of my amp. (one cable less!)

Thanks,

Ren

7. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the exact composite to S-video converter that I have. Ordered it online. took about 3 weeks to be delivered.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A mate of mine has one of those s-video NTL boxes, funnily enough he says it's er... not very good. The RGB output on mine is pretty good even when converted to S-video with a js box. That works well for AV amp switching. I can't think of anything you can do to clean it up, it's not your plasma's fault, mate has a Panasonic PW5. iscan would be worth trying, but the price of the things is a bit offputting.