NTL or Sky for best picture & sound?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Noodle, May 18, 2003.

1. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm currently an NTL customer, and really am not happy with the picture quality at times.

Is Sky better??????

Looking really for comments from people who have had both.

Ta.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Up until a month ago I had both SKY D and NTL D, the SKY system won hands down in terms of both picture and audio quality, and reliablity (But that's another threads worth).

However you will certainly get a number of people who say the opposite and I will always give them the benifit of the doubt as modern TV's have a huge impact on the display of a digital source.
    I will say this, apart from the premium movies and sports channels on SKY D all the other channels would not be harmed by an increase in bitrates. Unlike NTL, SKY has very little control over the quality of third party channels that broadcast on their digital platform as an example my favorite channel (Motors TV) run at very low bitrates for much of their output only increasing them for their "headline" live events (BTCC, DTM etc).

Oh and you have to take into account the different approach both companies have in regard to their hardware. NTL loan you the STB and are responsible for the upkeep. SKY give you the hardware and only cover it for the minimum 12 month warranty period but when/if you cancel the SKY hardware is yours to keep.
    Both methods have their positive and negative points but your preference might have an impact on the platfrom you decide to use.