NTL not so hot on HiDef Info

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Chris Muriel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Got this in my newsfeeds this morning :

Thursday, March 23, 2006
    Marketing Mix: We'll call you - NTL
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: Marketing

Marketing via NewsEdge Corporation :
    We rang the cable TV provider to find out whether it could provide a clear picture about receiving high-definition channels.

NTL Hello, you are through to NTL. Can I have your account number or NTL telephone number please?

Mktg I'm not an account holder. I just have a query.

NTL OK.

Mktg I've been hearing a lot about HDTV recently and I was wondering what it is.

NTL High-definition television?

Mktg Yes.

NTL Basically, TV manufacturers are making higher-definition TVs using more colour pixels and things. Sky Movies 9 and 10 are now called Sky Movies 9 HD and 10 HD and are channels specifically for HDTVs. It is basically for better picture quality. It is being introduced quite slowly; I know the TVs are quite expensive.

Mktg So I would need to buy a special TV to receive it?

NTL Yes.

Mktg Is NTL offering HD channels?

NTL We will be introducing some in the future. Sky only has those two channels right now, but as soon as it brings some more in, we will too.

Mktg So, does NTL currently offer any HD channels?

NTL I think we have Sky Movies 9 and 10.

Mktg Will you be introducing any HD sports channels in the run-up to the World Cup?

NTL We currently carry Sky Sports 1, 2 and 3.

Mktg But they're not available as high-definition channels?

NTL No, not yet. Sky itself isn't carrying them on HD yet, but as soon as it does, we will as well.

Mktg If I set up an NTL account now, would I then need a special box later to receive the HD channels?

NTL No, it is just the TV itself.

Mktg Where can I find out more information about your channel packages?

NTL I can give you the number for sales.

Mktg Thanks.

NTL (provides number.)

VERDICT

Although the call-handler knew what HDTV was, she was unaware that Telewest, with which NTL merged at the beginning of March, is launching an HDTV service, accessible via its TVDrive personal video recorder, which will be offered to NTL subscribers next year. Her answers were confusing and vague at times, and she did not know that a PVR is required to receive the service. By the end of the conversation, I was as confused as I was at the start.

Score 3/10.

<<Marketing -- 03/23/06>>

<< Copyright ©2006 Marketing. Source: Financial Times Information Limited - Europe Intelligence Wire.

Chris Muriel, Manchester