1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL-no outputs for sound to amp-Pls Help!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Elmo76, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Elmo76

Elmo76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had NTL installed as I can't have Sky at the flat I'm in. I've been given a Samsung set-top box but it has no means of carrying sound from it to my amp. I've been informed by someone at NTL that this may be the case for all the boxes.

Can you please, please tell me if there is any way of carrying sound from NTL to my amp? :lease:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep there are a few NTL boxes that do not have dedicated audio outputs.
    I know there is always pressure to cut costs but not having audio outputs seems a short sighted approach or perhaps they honestly believe that their customers are not the type to have dedicated amps etc.

You can buy a scart cable which includes twin RCA phonos for sending the audio to an amp, not too expensive.

3. Elmo76

Elmo76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starburst, thanks for your response.

Excuse my ignorance though, but the set top box only has one scart so surely I'd need that to go from the box to the tv, making a second scart impossible?

Unless, can I just have the one scart going from the set-top box to the amp, but what about the picture?!!!

4. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought all NTL STBs had 2 SCARTs? All the ones I've had have 2 [all Pace]. I use the primary one [RGB] to my Quintro+, and the secondary to my AV amp.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Only one scart?
    Blimey that's severe penny pinching:(

The scart to scart cable has additional cables which break out from the end which fits in the STB this sending the video/audio to the TV as well as seperate cables (RCA phonos) for audio to use with an amp.