1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL moves

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by mike7, Sep 3, 2005.

1. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Currently, an ntl technology trial in Chorleywood is delivering speeds of up to 20Mb to a school, small business and several homes. This level of speed and bandwidth offers the opportunity to enjoy a host of new services. These include high definition TV, 1000 channel global radio, video conferencing amongst friends & family, global gaming, low cost IP telephony, video email, and of course the things people already use broadband for, but at much greater speed.

This is taken from a recent press release which announced that all NTL broadband customers are to be moved up to 10 Meg next year, with pricing being on useage rather than speed. I assume the Samsung boxes will be capable of these speeds. Question is, does this herald the commencement of some kind of High Definition TV service ?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The 20meg+ trials were based on ADSL2+ technology not the existing network that feeds the CM's and STB's however I do believe there is still some room for increased speeds above the 10meg although more network upgrades may have to happen.

ADSL2+ is fast enough assuming you live close enough to the exchange for mpeg4 based HDcontent however there are range issues and I do not know how they will affect a NTL implementation of the technology.
    I have no doubt the existing digital TV section of the network is more than capable of supporting mpeg4 HD it's just a question of putting a hardware and content package together.

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    exactly how do ntl trial ADSL2 stuff?

They run a cable network far superior to adsl lines and their current network as it stands can go upto 50mb line speed.

I think you maybe wrong as i'm sure ntl have no plans to introduce adsl2 in any way.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    NTL are looking at extending their reach by employing ADLS2+ links and providing the NTL TV and broadband service outside their current franchise areas.

From an economic point of view there is a huge savings using a xDSL product instead of buying the right to invest multi-millions in laying a new dedicated cable network.

As you say for their existing franchise areas they have the means to match anything xDSL can provide and the existing network infrastructure is capable of delivering HD broadcasts.