Ntl Modem Help Urgent

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jaybo123, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,just my freind has just bought an Acer core duo laptop from comet for 800.00 quid,hes also bought a wirless router belkin brand,now this were the trouble starts...We pluged the router in(eveything off at this stage) plugged the ethernet cable in the modem then into the router and turned everything on.To which we then started the lappy to see the little notice pop up bottom corner saying no wireless networks availible.Thought it was a router prob so took it back and exchanged for the netgear dsl router same thing happened once again when we started...Really bugging me Please Help :(

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Have you set the router up, or just plugged it in and expected it to work

3. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well it doesnt give me an option to set-up there was no set up disk with it.and with the netgear there is a disk but when i explore the drive there is nuthin in the dir of the disk??

4. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    YOU do not setup a router with a disc. You open your web browser and after reading the instructions on how to access it. Something like HTTP://192.168.0.1 is a common one, you normally get asked for user and password again the instructions.

5. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i at home have a belkin router and a wirless network so i did all the usuall stuff but to no avail...Its not even givin me the chance to run the exe of the disk cos its saying there nuthin on the disk???

6. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Please Help Needed surley sombody has encounted this prob...

7. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    First off exactly what router, model and version have you got, no one can help without that.

Secondly THERE IS NO SOFTWARE TO LOAD OR RUN, i.e. NO .exe files, it is all in the instructions, surely you must have them.

You access your router by a Web Browser, "INTERNET EXPLORER"

8. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right it a Netgear WGR614 54 Mbps Wireless Router,Yes the instruction are on a bit of paper the size of a stamp Which tell me to run the smart wizard set-up on the disk, and thirdly when i go to the browser the internet page says"cannot not be displayed"

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Now we have the model number :

Open Internet Explorer. In the Address Bar, type in http://192.168.1.1/basicsetting.htm and hit enter.
    (or just 192.168.1.1 should work).
    At this point, you may be prompted for a Username and Password, if you are, they should be "admin" and "password" respectively.

A google search will find this and a lot more.
    You need the router's WAN port to appear the same as the IP address that your previous setup used to present to NTL ; if this was an ethernet connection, then it will be the IP address of your old ethernet card.
    Otherwise you have to tell NTL that you have a router in line now and give it's WAN port address etc. to NTL so they can setup the infrastructure at their end to recognise/accept it.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

10. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thnks chris,but as i was saying when i enter the 192.168.1.1 a page cumes up saying somthing on the lines of this page cannot be displayed please check ur spellings i know exacly wot ur saying as ive set up my own network, with my sons laptop and also a xbox 360 to which i stream movies and music to..

11. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    I am reading the instructions and it states in section 3 Smart wizard setup if you can see the wizard in the browser then go to http://www.routerlogin.net
    Two things can stop you seeing the router from the PC.
    1 Internet Security is blocking the IP address, to enable it open Norton Internet Security and go to Security Basics, Personal Firewall, Configure Firewall, in Home networking run the Wizard.
    2 PC is not even seeing the router, Click on Start, My Computer, select My Network places on the left, select View Network connections on the left, click once on "Local Area Network connected" If the local are network states disabled, then right click and enable, in the bottom left you should see IP address 192.168,X,Y, Subnet address and Assigned by DHCP, if not your PC is not talking to the router in the first place.
    If you can not access the router by the wizard, note your address in the network places, example 192.168.0.5 in Internet explorer just change the last digit to a 1 and type in your result as http://192.168.0.1
    User = admin, Password = password.

Instructions http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/WGR614v5_NAInstallGuide_23May2004.pdf

12. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thnks for all tips not seeing him till tomorow so i will pass on all ur advice anybody thinks of anythin else please let me know thnks for ur fast response knew the forum wouldnt let me down..

13. comatose

comatose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Don't forget you need to have a WIRED connection from the laptop to the router on first connection. Wireless access is probably disabled initially for security reasons. Also, make sure you connect the modem to the Internet/WAN port and the PC to one of the numbered LAN ports.

14. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Also a DSL/ADSL modem is no good for ntl through a STB or ntl modem. You need a cable route. Pluging the RJ45 cable from the modem into one of the switched ports wont work, you need to use the port marked WAN.

15. edgayton

edgayton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In your first post you mention a Belkin router and then later a Netgear - which is it? If it s a Belkin then on the two Belkin products I've used the default IP address has been 192.168.2.1 so you may wish to try that.

Hope this helps, Ed

16. jaybo123

jaybo123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    we had a belkin at first but couldnt get it to work then we got a netgearone which wouldnt work think it might have sumthin to do with ntl now?

17. john.hem

john.hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273