NTL installation questions

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by r.vernon1, Jul 5, 2005.

1. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi,

Just about to switch to NTL after nearly 5 years with Sky. A couple of questions.

1, I have heard there is a new silver box being given to custmers. Is this the best one to ask for? Any improvements etc.

2, I use the 2 RF outputs on the ack of Sky box to send the signal to other parts of the house. I have one of those RF devices running on the main RF out to change the channel in another room. Is this still possible on NTL boxes?

3, Any other questions to ask the installer?

Thanks very much,

Rob

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    1) The silver boxes are allegidly required if you have the higher speed broadband from them - they are not really supposed to be much better - in fact some of them have no audio phono connections and only 1 scart. NTL are even worse than Sky for getting a box you want

2) I dont know specifically on the equipment you have but most of these devices which work with sky, freeview, tv, vcrs and everything else do not work with cable - though there are a couple which do.

3) The only thing I would ask them is to not install it! Having been with Sky, NTL and Telewest I have found Sky to actually be the best for a) Picture quality b) Sound Quality c) Hardware reliability d) Worryingly as it may be Customer Service.

3. oakwell

oakwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rob,

Before going for the switch from Sky to NTL, it might be worth having a read at Cable Forum before committing. I've been with NTL for two years so far and they have been fine. But the overall concensus seems to be that when they screw up, boy do they do it in style :eek:

I must admit that I found the Sky package much more user friendly and, had it not been for the fact that I moved from owned property to rented, I'd still be with Sky.

4. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    NTL in nottingham is particularly bad the call centre is based here and I know people who work there and the horror stories Ive heard.

They have a really good offer on a TV/Phone/Broadband package at the moment.
    I think you should ask yourself why it seems so attractive?

Agree with the comments above Sky customer care is poor but NTL is downright dreadfull. Reliability has been quite poor especially with Phone lines. They go down and they dont know how to fix or take ages to send someone out to look. :thumbsdow

I had the equipment 2 years ago and it was shocking. The box kept freezing I had to switch the box of at the mains for a couple of minutes and then switch it back on again and wait for it to set up.
    This happpened everyday and Iam not exagerating.
    I rang them again and again and they just kept telling me to do the same and would not come and look at it. so in the end I used to do It as part of my morning routine :rolleyes:

Still the can only have improved since then. :D

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    1) Yes it's better in that it's....

Silver, more modern looking and matches my other equipment as opposed to the greeny/military looking Pace box.

More importantly the remote uses standard codes which is essential for some universal remotes like my Pronto. My older Pace which used IRDA remote codes would NOT be recognised by my Pronto (without purchasing an additional 'red eye' transcoder).

Whilst on the subject of remotes, the new one will control the basic features of any brand TV (Vol, channel change etc). If you don't have a universal remote then this feature is VERY useful and much under-rated.

3) Make sure the screen settings are correct, i.e. if you have a WS TV then set it to 16:9 and also RGB (making sure you use the RGB scart on your TV).
    Chances are the engineer will not do any more than he has to and leave it on teh default settings of 4:3 and composite.

6. r.vernon1

r.vernon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. The main reason for the switch is to save money. We pay currently £92.50 for Sky and NTL (Phone and Broadband). I phone NTL and they said it will cost me £55 a month for the same phone, 1MB broadband and all the NTL channels except movies (which we don't watch anyway due to a large DVD collection!). So its going to be a massive saving. When I cancelled with Sky they offered me nothing to keep me (been a customer for nearly 5 years). SO thats the main reason for the change.

Am I right in thinking though that I am not locked into the NTL option for 12 months or am I? If I find the service bad (equipment/service problems) can I cancel it. The Sky dish will still be up and I will be keeping my trusty Panasonic box so I can phone them up and start with them if I need to.

Another bonus is the Premiership Plus football being free. Is the Sky's Football First available on NTL?

Rob