NTL info required, please

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Garrett, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    I'm considering swapping over to NTL from Sky, can anyone with NTL tell me what connections you have at the back of your such as number of scarts sockets, aerial out sockets, audio outputs?
    Also what are the set-ups like such as can you chose from 3:4 and 16:9, if so is it anamorphic. RGB output, volume level and do you get on screen menus and program synopsises and radio stations?
    Lastly what Internet services do they provide?

2. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes mate, you get 2 scarts, 1 parralell port,1 ethernet connection, 1 dce port, 1 ariel socket and audio left and right outputs, i have the pace ntl digital box which has rgb output, onscreen menues and displays 16x9 as well as 4x3, i,m well pleased with the service, hope this helps, chrisyt. ;)
    PS. Forgot to mension the free internet access, 24x7 as well, mint :D

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: chrisyt ]

3. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you're in the North West area (incl Staffordshire) you can get high speed broadband internet through the modem in the box too. (£25/month)

The Pace NTL/Cable&Wireless box won't work with most multi-remotes eg Pronto as it uses a dofferent typoe of infra-red code (Similar to the PC interface I think)

NTL get a bad name for customer service, but I've found them to be OK up to now. Like most things it depends on people's personal experience of a company.

NTL is more expensive than Sky as you get the phone line too. They don't have Sky Box Office as they have their own version called Front Row which is similar.

The Channel Line isn't exactly the same but you still get the same Premium channels. With Film 4 you only get the main Film 4 channel and not the new additional Film 4 channels (eg Film Four World) - depends if you like arty froeign films or not

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do NTL have widescreen broadcasts of everything that is widescreen on all channels and with auto-switching, if you see what I mean?

5. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont swop to NTL. You get less choice of channels and services, the picture and sound are not as good on NTL-picture blocking or freezing or even the picture blacking out with only sterio sound, not even pro logic. Internet access depends where you live none in my area, E-mail service which does not work all the time, set top boxs which jam so you cannot use remote and have to unplug and plug in the mains lead to reboot. Stick to Sky and watch out for the new sky box with the hard disc recorder due this year.

6. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I had to choose again, I'd probably go with Sky.

7. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If NTL can't answer your questions what do you think is going to happen when you are unhappy with service?

You may be lucky and be really content with NTLs service, but beware, any problems and you will understand why they get such negative posts.

8. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    In reply to the widescreen question - yes ntl do have autoswitching widescreen channels similar to Sky.

They do not have any widescreen PPV channels, but have widescreen on the terrestrial and Sky channels that broadcast it, e.g. Sky Premier Widescreen, Sky Sports for most live sport.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    Thanks for the advice, one more question to those who have NTL what are the dimensions of the box.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

10. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The box is 38cm wide, 25cm deep (allow another 7cm ish for cables) and 7.5cm high.

Mine is the Pac DITV1000 box (there are I think three different boxes depending on the area you live in - mine is ex Cable & Wireless)

11. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Widescreen is broadcast on Sky Sports 1, 2 and 3 (and not on their interactive service Sky Sports Extra).

This is only available via the digital service, not the analogue service.

The rugby and the cricket yesterday, for example, were widescreen via Sky Sports on ntl.

[ 15-07-2001: Message edited by: Richardr ]

12. kar

kar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, any ideas about ITV Sport?

13. kar

kar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Sky Sports1/2/3 broadcast the live sports they show in Widescreen, or is it only on the interactive digital channel?

Does NTL analogue broadcast widescreen (assuming its not just the interactive channel)?

Last question, someone mentioned that ITV Sport was going to be shown on NTL, is that analogue as well, or just digital?

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,352
    Thank to for all the advice, I was going for NTL, but despite being told by persons on the NTL stand in town that I could get the internet on my computer, off them, on making further enquiring found I can only obtain it on my TV in my area. It's a shame, as I hate having to pay Sky for all the stations I never watch, just to watch the few I do like.
    All I can say is NTL when you can get your act together you will have another customer, and Sky its about time you started breaking your large package down to smaller ones, and not one general, one cartoon, one music, one gardening and decorating, one shopping, one news etc. but like NTL's.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades

15. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just to come back on the widescreen sports question, from about a week ago ntl stopped carrying the widescreen sports from Sky. It isn't clear whether this is a mistake, or permanent. Sky Premier Widescreen (the movie channel) is still widescreen.

16. kar

kar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't like the sound of that, have you asked them why? (I assume you have NTL digital and thats why you know.) I have just ordered digital, one main reason why is that the sport was in widescreen!!

Keith. :mad: