1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL in Surrey - update

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by MAW, Dec 8, 2002.

1. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    NTL sent our update at 6.30 pm yesterday, crashing the STB, leaving the babysitter with no TV. Since then I've had 4 reboots, and this horrendous high volume hissing, which comes back after 1-2 hours. Am I alone in a) recieving my update then, and b) having a battle with it afterwards. I recall some guys from Manchester complaining a month or so ago.

2. Batts

Batts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All software downloads to digi boxes can crash them, poor signal levels, ageing boxes, old default frequencies etc.
    Every time a software download is imminent all leave is suspended and its all hands on deck for the next 10 days or so.
    A properly installed installation is usually trouble free, I did my own and and have not had so much as a glitch in 2 years,trouble free.
    The trouble is tendering out the instals to contractors, in-house instals were always a quality job and trouble free thereafter.

Unfortunately if an instal is a bad one a software download will definately show it up. At least it gives us the opportunity to rectify the problems albeit at the cost of very long days eachtime.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do we detect an employee? My box has settled down now, it's just like windows. If you rattle it's cage it gets upset, but gets used to it. Zany purple channel info, and slightly faster changing, I never press the red button, but I assume that's what this one was all about. Any way, it hasn't done the horrid hissy crackly thing for a couple of days now, thanks.

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wait the crackling will come back if you've got broad band. Every time you are Up/Down loading stuff and watching tv it will haunt you. This seems to be a problem withthe pace 4000 boxes since the software update.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Negative, Mandlebrot. No problems after 3 days anyway. Checked as soon as I read this, just to be sure. Ran MTV on the tv and BBC broadband news by pc, no sound effects yet. For me, after the initial problem, it seems to be an improvement. Maybe, like the man who should know says, it's down to the engineers who did your initial install, and whether they made the connections properly.

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw: What model of Pace STB have you got?

Negative on the poss install bodge has I've now had 3 engineers out and even had STB replaced and all wiring and they still can't solve it. This not only effects me but quite a few other people are also reporting it on other forums.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It might say on the bottom, but it's on my rack, and you know as well as anyone how many wires there are there, inc. home network/router. I think it's a 1000, but I've never really known! Remembering the previous thread, I wonder if it is location dependent, ie not your personal installation, but the whole area. Others complaining have been Manchester too, I'm in Cobham, stockbroker surrey so to speak.

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Maw, thanks for responding.

The reason I asked what model the box is (and it is underneath by the way) that it seems to be common to the 4000 box itself and not location dependent. But yes I do know what its like with wires, its a jungle behind my rack so if you don't want to check model I understand. Cheers anyway

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll check when the kids are at school today, got to be at home as the builders might come, and pigs might fly, and world peace might happen.... BTW have you seen Miss Congeniality?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pace 2000 it is.

11. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats then MAW that means you shouldn't have any more major sound problems unlike me. You might be thinking well why don't I just demand a 2000 box, well if you are, just to clear it up, I'm hoping to get a pronto soon and it will only work with the 4000 box plus the engineers keep saying that I should have a seperate modem to solve the probs so that's the route I'm taking or trying to.

Thanks for checking the model number for me:)

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, the NTL remote..... yes there's a good subject to whinge about!