1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Hot Box

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by simon69, May 28, 2002.

1. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have been having problems with NTL cable, the picture keep freezing etc. Someone came around to fix it and said the box was over heating, not enough ventilation. The box is on an open shelf the only way it would get more ventilation is if I threw it outside, which is tempting.

This is just one of a long list of problems from NTL they are getting really bad, and they just keep increasing the price without letting anyone know about it.

Anyone else had problems with NTL?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Which model box is it? I remeber seeing similar posts somewhere, this time last year. I think it is a problem with the early boxes, try and get a 4000 series as I have one and no crashing or over heating. You could try lifting up a bit off the shelf to get more air circulation, or glue a heat sink to the bottom using thermal silver or similar.

3. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I dont know which model it is I will have a look tonight, but I have not had it 3 months yet and it was new when they installed it. I will try to lift it up a little of the shelf.

4. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has hornydragon says get them to change it for a 4000 series (you will have to insist) model. I had a 1000 model and it always crashed, my broadband also kept going off and I kept saying it must be the box but they kept saying it was wires or this (anything but the box) and that. After 3 engineers visits I insisted they change the box, they did and since they gave me the i4000 I've had no problems what so ever with the box or broadband crashing. I have also heard that people are having lots of probs with the 2000 series, so make sure you get the Di4000.

I do think they take the **** with pricing. I have the base pack with was £14.99 per month (I needed this in-order to get broadband at £25.99), this has just go up to £17 and the only decent channel i.e. pay channel is 5ky one, the rest are free to air.

Today I phoned them to ask about upgrading to family pack which is now £26 for a 1 month trial and if then I could downgrade back to my orig now £17 package if I didn't want to continue after the month. They said "Yes sir of course you can upgrade for a 1 month trial but when you downgrade to back to your original status the price will be £20 per month not £17" I said no I would want to just go back to the same has I have now i.e. same channels, same price. They said "yes sir you can go back to same channel pack but it will then cost you £20 per month, not £17". I said I don't understand this please explain, they said "its because has an existing customer of the base pack you benefit from your price only up to £17 while new customers or customers downgrading from higher packages have to pay the price increase of £20 for the base pack". I said yes but I'm a customer originally on the base pack has you just said so can benefit from the so called price increase (haha benefit from a price increase now that's got to be an oxymoron) to £17 and has such I should be able to trial an higher package and then go back to my original status. Guess what, they said "no sir, if you upgrade even for a trial then you become an existing customer of a higher package and has such you then lose the benefit of a customer of a lower package". This is total bol**cks and translates into "you release us from our original contract to you because we have a clause written in so we can then rip you off more than we currently can get away with", b***ards.

Sorry to rant on when you only asked a question but I did give you an answer first LOL. Rant mode off.

5. sda

sda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had cable installed 2 weeks now and have suffered BAD blocking / freezing of picture (footy weekend ruined) NTL engineer said wrong cable installed cos I am too far from main box and I need new cable! they apparently dont use this cable for first install as its £5 per metre! so I have to wait a week and have it replaced! - I feel a major complaint to customer care comming on! should I get them to change my Pace 1000 to 4000 series as well?

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to use a full LCD remote except the new on-for-all mossaic then you will need to get them to change the box. Also if you decide to have broadband installed then you may also need to change boxes has I had loads of probs with the 1000 box. Having said that they are unlikely to change the box unless you insist that you are constantly having problems with the box you have at the moment and will try anything to get out of changing it. I had 3 engineer visits before they let me have a new box.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got broadband connected via ntl i have connected via usb to my pc but my pc wont recoginse it ntl say its the chips i have they have problems detrecteing usb modems and i should buy an network card and it will be ok however this will cost me £15 and i need to connected it myslef.

They should have come last Friday but didnt show up they turned up this friday while i was at work mum was here i already had ntl digital box but since itv digital went off the air and the box was playing up i disconected it but today when the enigneers came to install my broadband they used the connection for the ntl box rather than conect a new box for broadband. should i pay £15 and get network card or say i dont want it anymore.

the guy at 1st said sounded like dodgy modem now he says its my chips and if i want an enigneer and it is trhe chips it will cost me £50 what shall i do

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    What do you mean by chips? CPU? a NIC is a fiver at most and easy to install, if you have a modem in your PC disable it in the hardware profile to force the PC to look else where ntl tech support kept telling me my NIC was no good and this was the problem they are useless and dont phone the £1 a min line phone customers services and get transferred.

9. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I do not rate the tech support from ntl at all. The engineer told me that my tv could not accept an RGB signal, even though it does. They said only digital tv's accept RGB.

When I asked about digital sound they said whats that then, like I was some kind of an idiot. There are no plans to upgrade the boxes so that the have optical/coax outputs and the man I spoke to on the helpline recomended sky+.

Look on the bright side when they go bankrupt someone competent may take over.