Quantcast

NTL HiDef

jaymz

Novice Member
As part of todays confirmation of the NTL & Telewest merger here it mentions a HDTV role out.

Is anybody aware of anymore details?
 

danvitale

Novice Member
Aint gonna happen in a loooooong time. Sorry.

Sky wont want to loose exclusivity until a year into their HD service and the NTL/Telewest merger will have to unify their hardware platforms to cater for a complete roll out of HDTV services. That'll take months at the very least.
 

DanDT

Active Member
danvitale said:
Aint gonna happen in a loooooong time. Sorry.

Sky wont want to loose exclusivity until a year into their HD service and the NTL/Telewest merger will have to unify their hardware platforms to cater for a complete roll out of HDTV services. That'll take months at the very least.
Surely it will take a while, but this can only mean that prices will come down soon enough :clap:
 

sprattgraham

Novice Member
On the live webcast NTL Said they are hoping to start HDTV end of 2006 and finish the role out by the end of 2007.

Telewest are also on a similar timescale but they said they are ahead of NTL
 

danvitale

Novice Member
I would imagine that if NTL were to carry out a company (avec Telewest) rollout of HDTV they would want it all on one platform.

And the rollout of HDTV depends on Sky letting them have their HDTV channels (and along with it the reason NOT to buy Sky's £400 stb along with it..)
 

onefivenine

Novice Member
danvitale said:
Aint gonna happen in a loooooong time. Sorry.

Sky wont want to loose exclusivity until a year into their HD service and the NTL/Telewest merger will have to unify their hardware platforms to cater for a complete roll out of HDTV services. That'll take months at the very least.

Stupid question maybe but how does that affect 'Artsworld HD' and 'Discovery HD Theatre' channels which both applied for HDTV broadcast licences in UK? And maybe others have too - this was a while ago...

Do Telewest need Sky's permission to broadcast them?
 

Starburst

Novice Member
onefivenine said:
Stupid question maybe but how does that affect 'Artsworld HD' and 'Discovery HD Theatre' channels which both applied for HDTV broadcast licences in UK? And maybe others have too - this was a while ago...

Do Telewest need Sky's permission to broadcast them?


Artsworld is owned by SKY.
Discovery have in the past done an exclusive deal with SKY, they may do this again for their HD offering.
So NTL/TW regardless of who owns the HD content will have to negotiate to buy the rights that's assuming those rights are on offer in the first place.
I would expect NTL/TW to make use of their VOD contracts which would give them HD movies although limited selection compared to SBO and SKY movies.

As for the broadcast licenses well every channel that is uplinked from the UK requires one of them even those that are intended for foreign markets.
 

Starburst

Novice Member
danvitale said:
And the rollout of HDTV depends on Sky letting them have their HDTV channels (and along with it the reason NOT to buy Sky's £400 stb along with it..)




Somehow I can not see the much larger company that is NTL now buying 2 to 3 million HD DVR's within a timescale of a couple of years:)
 

Similar threads

Top Bottom