1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Help

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Sami, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Hi,

I'm moving into a new place at the end of this month.

It's in a cable area and the only cable provider that seems to work in my postcode area is NTL.

Are they any good? Was going to use them for TV and Phone.....

Cheers

Sami

2. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK when it's working, but expect them to screw up your billing & allow for a couple of hours phone time (freephone, if the line works) to sort it out.
    I am not exaggerating.

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    I wouldn't go near NTL.

I was with them for two years for their cable internet service and they are rubbish...constant faults, takes hours to get through to their "customer services" and then they get it wrong.

My internet service was constantly failing, they kept sending me bills for someone that had a similar name to me - they eventually solved this after 6 phone calls and a letter to their head office and promised me compensation that never materialised.

I had great pleasure in telling them to stuff it when I moved house and signed up for BT adsl...and they're still sending me bills for a service I discontinued six months ago.

If you have any other options at all, take them! get SKY for your tv and good old BT for your phone.

4. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have NTL Phone, cable tv, cable modem

NTL cable tv - The only real problem with NTL cable tv that I see is that they dont do a sky+ type solution. The interactive tv side sucks (no idea what this is like on sky). But apart from that I think NTL cable tv is excellent.

NTL phone - never had any problems.

NTL cable modem - very good. With I feel, within acceptable limits for downtime etc throughout the year. But the email sucks. I think it is better to use a free email account from elsewhere, e.g. yahoo etc, rather than use NTL email.

5. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    If you can afford the difference, I'd get SKY (or even better, SKY+).

I had NTL for about 3 years when I lived in my flat - the interactive service isn't even worthy of the name, and digital text was still "coming soon" 3 years after the system was installed :laugh:
    The EPG was slow, and the response to the remote madly frustrating - how many times when you keyed in the first 2 digits of the channel number (eg 12 for 123) would you end up on the 2 digit channel ???

The telephone service was OK though, couldn't really fault that.

SKY is far, far superior in terms of product (IMHO), and as I said SKY+ takes it to another level. You do need a BT line though, so its costing me more to have SKY and BT than it did to have NTL, but I don't begrudge it.

Ian.

6. Sparkmeister

Sparkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have been with both NTL and Sky now.

NTL are cheaper and cable modem is better I think than ADSL however, TV interaction with NTL was non-existent and NTL were not very good at solving my issues. :rolleyes:

If you want good sound with your telly then go with Sky.

I have had no problems with Sky but I do have gripes with BT for my phoneline!! :thumbsdow:

Hope that helps. :smoke: