1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ntl HDTV trials

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by rogeralpine, Mar 17, 2005.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Page 26 when I view it.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    NTL are £2.5 billion in debt. They can't even afford to expand their own network, let alone getting into HDTV on demand deals. The much-publicised NTL cable arrived in my town 5 years ago, where it has remained in a little green box on the outskirts of town, with zero houses wired up.

It's all hype for the shareholders.

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The REALLY interesting bit is on page 25, tho.

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not a very fair comparison. NTL only lay cable where it suits them. BT are forced to supply a copper pair anywhere on the UK mainland (except Hull).

6. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Video on demand is being trialled in glasgos as we speak. With ADSL2+ (18 meg) available now from manufacturers and not significantly more expnsive than plain old ADSL then how can it be all hype?

With the NTL and telewest merger there will probably be a debt for equity swap or something similar, this will reduce the debt and allow them to expand.

They are also spending mega bucks on a softswitch.

They can afford to expand the network and they will, they re currently going through a period of consolidation looking at how the telewest tie up will effect them which means they have not spent a lot on network expansion for the last 18 months, neither have telewest.

Not quite sure how you can come to this conclusion.

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    NTL are currently trialling VOD in Swansea and Cardiff (the worst parts of their network for relaibility testing) and they are about to trial HDTV in 2 areas.
    (NTL management feels the need for this as SKY have now announced their HDTV plan for the end of the year and they feel they have to compete!)

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

8. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    ADSL2+ ?? Who offers this ?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ntl is very very fractured, I live with a cable box 20 yards away and have been an ntl subscriber for 5 years.......till i moved to my current place. cable runs through the pavement in front of a my block of 9 flats (developer invited them in) they declined so i cant get ntl!!!! so have a BT line Demon ADSL and FV 3 of the flats have sky so its not like there wasnt a demand! and the thing that really gets me is they still flyer the builing every 2-3 weeks with there latest offers, took 2 install teams to come out and a 45 minute argument with them to sort out that i couldn't have ntl installed (the second install team had even been to the block six months previously and they wwere well peed that they had been sent out as they are contractors they wont get paid for the JOB even tho its ntl who screwed up!!!!!

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270

There's a big difference between a trial and actual implementation. The NTL network is cash starved, with much of it badly in need of modernisation. You only have to read the figures pubished for the share-holders (see OP's link) to see how much they are in debt.

11. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Most vendors (Alcatel, Fujitsu, Marconi, etc al) can offer the technology it's just the operators who can't implement it yet. The problem with all this next gen stuff is that there are no significant tie ups between the content providers and the service providers. NTL don't make any money out of TV becuase there is no reguation of the resale price by SKY, which there clearly should be - something akin to the monopoly rules ofcom use to keep kicking BT.

So until NTL or Telewest or Kingston sign up with someone who can provide the content - like the Beeb or one of the major film distriutors there will not be any signifcant rollout of the tecnology.

12. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    NTL are about to launch TV on demand nationwide - well sometime this year - it has been announced as a product set internally within NTL.

The tie up with Telewest may slow the rollout but it is coming. So the next step on from this is HDTV on demand. With Fibre to the kerb the only thing stopping NTL from doing this is the upgrade of the POP sites to allow for greater bandwidth to the home.

13. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    HDTV is normally broadcast at 19mbps in the States - given that most people wont be able to connect at anything like 18mb what quality will the service be like? Even with HDTV when the bitrate is too low it looks blocky a la sky's SD digital service

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    For the most part the US are still using mpegII, the UK HD DTT/Dsat broadcasts will be using mpeg4 thus reducing the required bitrate and who knows what sort of exotic or proprietary codecs could be used in a closed system such as video over IP links.

15. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    NTLs TV on demand will allow users to store up to 20gig initially on a server - this will have to be more for HDTV - which can then be streamed to the users set top box on demand, which means they can pause, rewind, stop, start, etc to their hearts content. The idea is that if you buy a film like with sky boxoffice you have access to it for 24/48 hours. They also plan to offer films in a much shorter timescale than sky, typically 3 months after they finish on the big screeen.

Once this service is up and running the jump to HD won't take much. However, I think sky are the only ones who think 2006 for HDTV is realistic.

16. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well H and VDSL is sort of available also and that's up to 50 meg so if you have the fibre there is no issue.

17. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    NTL went through chapter 11 about a year ago(effectivley filing for bankruptcy),so that pretty much wiped out all their debt.

TBH,Im quite surprised how well the VOD works,at the moment the highlights section will only allow you to view BBC channels,Im not sure if this is due to issues with advertising or just that the BBC are the first ones to sign up :confused:

I can see no reason whatsoever that NTL could not start providing HDTV on demand tomorrow.

18. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well thats a good point - if its MPEG4 the bitrate could go as low as DVD rates

This would be a bad thing though. I have yet to see an officially released WM9 encoded 1080p that can compare to standard mpeg2 1080i. Like DivX et al you reach a point where higher bitrate is pointless since you have reached the effective limit yet the video is still softer and less defined than the source.