1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL / Guideplus+ / DVD HDD recorder. Anyone got any experience?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by mopr, Sep 8, 2005.

1. mopr

mopr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm confused by the wealth of information and the number of products, so hope for some help. I've spent hours on the forum and seem to only produce two new questions for every answer. I'm going backwards!

Basically I want to ditch my two old VCRs and buy a DVD recorder with a HDD.

My requirements are pretty simple, HOWEVER a couple of the most import things is a large-ish HDD and the ability for the recorder to conrtol my NTL cable box (It's a Samsung SMT-2100C) so the I can record things on different channels withou having to remember to change channel on the cable box manually.

If I'm getting anywhere close to understanding anything then I feel that here are two different ways of doing the 'control' One is using guideplus+ and the other is proprietry (as in the Tosh RDXS32)

After downloading the instruction manual for the Tosh I'm fairly confident that it will control the NTL box, however Guideplus+ seems much more of an integrated system and gets rid of the need for a TV guide of trawling through the Cable channel guide.

What I can't find is any informtion on whether guideplus+ is broadcast in the Cambridge (UK) area (NTL are of course of NO help whatsoever)

Then there is the IRDA vs. RC6 codes for the IR control and the possible need for a 'Red Eye' IR converter to get the DVD HDD rec to work the cable box.

Basically it all seems to be far more complicated than my simple-ish requirement calls for.

Has anyone and experience of NTL/Guideplus+/Cambridge/HDD DVD recorder that might help me see the wood for the trees and if so which machine?

Many Thanks

Mark Preston

2. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use HDRW720 with Guide+ with NTL with Samsung box and whilst Philips do come under a lot of fire - i paid £450, you can buy them now for around £250 & i still wouldn't swap mine for anything else currently available for under £500 - here's the blurb i gave it in Dec:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192366

3. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s.

Guide+ is available nationally via ITV teletext channel downloads for all satellite channels

samsung box works without extra adaptors (will work with the 720 outta box as per my set up) - IRDa adaptors were needed for only a couple pace boxes - unfortunately these were used heavily by ntl (now obsolete)

4. mopr

mopr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jethroUK,

When you say 'ITV teletext' I presume that you mean terestrial broadcast? If so then I'm out of luck that way as there are too many trees and a bloody great hospital in the way, so I get no signal worth a light out of the aerial on the roof at all. (also Sky is out of the question too - trees again) so I'm stuck with what comes down the cable as my only option.

I'll dig about for some reviews of the 720 and see where that goes.

Many thanks,

Mark Preston

5. auto

auto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    You can receive ITV teletext if you get a 2way splitter and split the
    cable feed to the cable box and the other to the recorder.Not sure if
    this works every where. (UK. N.I)
    Thats what i do using a phillips hdrw720. Im also using NTL.

Go to this site: http://www.redremote.co.uk/dvdr80.html
    Go to the section (Obtaining GuidePlus updates on NTL STBs when you don't have a UHF antenna feed available.). Follow the diagrams, You should receive t/text with this method.

6. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternatively - If your digibox has R/F (aerial) out, it may pass teletext thru it (some boxes do and some dont) - you could try using that as teletext feed

I didn't realise you could get t/text straight from the cable - that could help lot of people out - my digibox doesn't support t/text but i have an std aerial so i'm OK