NTL - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by pointon, Oct 22, 2001.

1. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had digital cable for a while now, originally from Cable & Wireless, which was taken over by NTL. At first everything worked great. Lately though, the service has become frustrating. What are other people's experiences of NTL, especially those of you who are ex-Cable & Wireless users.

My main gripes are:

Interactive content - yeah right... when you can actually get onto it, all you get is the basics of a poor website mutated for TV use. Nothing innovative or different. Absolutely zero interactive content with channels, even though the function is present.

On screen TV Guide - Hardly ever works. Taking a look at what's on means putting up with waiting for details to load, and continuous errors, such as the box trying to tell me what's on BBC2 all the time.

Crashing - Just because it can be resolved by switching the power off and back on, NTL, doesn't mean there's no problem!

NTL didn't even let us know when they introduced their own channel packages, just left us with the more expensive C&W packages. If you're still with your C&W package, take a look at the NTL packs... More for less.

I could go on... but won't.

Can't complain about the broadband internet service though... I could if I tried...

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: pointon ]

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,232
  3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  4. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using NTL (Ex Cable & Wireless).

The best service I had from NTL was when I rang them to cancel the whole thing. They couldn't do enough for me then. I listed my problems:

I wanted another box in my bedroom. Wiring and point was already in and yet they wanted £25 for some guy to plug it in!
    No problem sir, we'll fit it for free.

Well I pay you a lot already, so £10/month for another box is abit steep. They used to be only a few quid in analogue days.
    No problem, you can have another box free for six months.

Well.... I was bought and stuck with them.

Different story trying to get Broadband internet. I had to ring about six different people. Someone tried to tell me that I needed a cable modem and that there wasn't a modem in my STB even though the website and the back of the STB said there was! Next I was told that my customer number was wrong - oops they'd transfered me to a different franchi$e of NTL.

Eventually after spending a lifetime on the phone I got the broadband, which I'm very please with.

I'm reasonably happy with NTL at the mo. I've got the phone/Tv/Internet with them and it is cheaper than a Sky/BT/ADSL combo (not sure if I can even get ADSL - BT didn't reply to my email!)

Yeh, they've got problems:-
    Slow on screen TV guide
    Interactive crap that doesn't seem to do much
    Dodgy package changes/prices between C&W and NTL - only found out these by accident.
    Set top box package updates that seem to take forever.
    Telephone service that can't have caller display - even though the website says it can!
    Only one Film4 channel even though charged same amount as Sky subsribers who get 3 or 4 Film4 channels.
    Dodgy STB that isn't compatible with universal remotes.

The main supervisor I spoke to once about all this said that the major problem is with the old C&W network. Apparantly it wasn't designed to be very future-proof to cope with the digital age.

Sorry for the rant ;)

5. Darren_L

Darren_L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    An update! From 1st NOV 2001, ntl digital will be offering all of the Film4 channels (FilmFour, FlimFour World, FilmFour Extreme and FilmFour+1), same as Sky.

6. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    I think Telewest must be even *worse* than NTL:

No reply to emails (actually one hell of a job to find anywhere to *send* your emails!)
    On hold for typically 20 to 30 minutes if you actually want to *talk* to them
    Engineers don't turn up
    Engineers *do* turn up, even when another one's been and sorted the problem days ago!
    No teletext
    No Premier widescreen
    No PPV widescreen
    Fewer premium movie channels
    A digibox that Satan himself couldn't control by remote. (Non standard IRDA crap)
    No digital out
    No s-video out
    No DD5.1
    More expensive than Sky

I could go on. When I *did* get to speak to Telewest about these issues (having given up with endless emails and no reply), they actually advised me that I would probably be better off with Sky!!!!! Well at least they were honest!

I just don't know how these guys expect to stay in business - its completely beyond me.

Chip.

7. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The main problems for me with NTL digital are;

Mono reception only.
    Interactive is extremely slow if it works at all.
    Screen blackouts.
    Screen lockups.
    Diabolical customer service response.
    Some programs transmitted with sign language that can't be disabled.

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's the way of things. I work for a certain company which shall remain nameless in customer service, simply as means to an end. Every company has their Customer Retention department, which is authorised to offer ludicrous deals to customers threatening to terminate their contracts after their initial commitment of 12 months or whatever, just so they stay with them.

If you've past your initial minimum contract, give it a go, threaten to leave and terminate your contract. You'll be offered loads of stuff. Try it with your Mobile Phone providers too. You could end up with loads of extra free minutes, and in some cases, a brand new £200 phone for free!

You just got to know how to play these people.