1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Engineer on his way - Advice required

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Orson, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Hi there folks, I've been having loads of NTL problems, and they've swapped the STB 4 times now, and today/tomorrow they'll be recabling, and swapping the box again.

My question is really what are the differences between the Pace boxes NTL supply, and which should I be going for?
    I only really ask because I noticed that after the last box was fitted, the choices available for signal output had changed. The old box had a choice of composite & RGB, where the current one has composite and S-Video.

Should I be concerned?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    NTL do supply a variety of STB's, surprisingly the newer models have fewer outputs (No analogue passthrough and no twin phonos) so if those connections are important to you then you will want an older design.
    Can't help you with STB serial numbers etc, no longer a NTL TV subscriber and I haven'e even seen the Samsung STB that was going to be deployed.

You should check out DS who have a dedicated NTL forum or of course there is NTHellworld.

3. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Cheers for the links Starburst (knew I could rely on an Ilson Lad). I's nice to know I'm not alone in my problems :rolleyes: .
    The guy that came out was actually okay, he's put a brand new (pace) box on, (he says they almost always fit used), and he'd not even seen a Samsung yet, although he had heard that they'd be this year. Possibly.

The box a previous engineer had left was throwing up so many errors in the sevice menu, that this guy was "surprised it worked at all, I can't believe he left you with it" , and he replaced some connectors in the box on the side of the house, as "these parts are defective, and we know they're defective, but we've got millions of them, so we're told to fit them anyway, and only swap them if there's a problem" . He recabled from the box to the house, and has ordered a 're-pull' from the box on the street to the house, but I've spoken to NTL since, and they seem reluctant to do this.
    The red are word for word quotes from the engineer btw.

I'm at the point of chucking the whole thing out, and going back to BT, and possibly getting Sky (can't get Freeview), but that could just be opening a whole new can of worms.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I didn't have any real problems with my NTL D telly, but they raised the sub and since I already had SKY D then NTL had to go:)
    I've still got their cable modem service which over the last two years has performed very well and is competitively priced.
    No Freeview?
    I've been looking into getting a Philips DTR 1500, according to the Freeview website I can get the service but may need an aerial upgrade( Which won't be cheap).

5. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Hi again,

the problems I've had with the telly have been more annoying on a matter of principle than major viewing problems, intermittent loss of picture/sound, blocking & bad pixellation etc, but not all the time, quite intermittent really, but when I queried it with NTL, someone just got my back up a bit, so I'm persuing it. Having said that, I'm not a big complainer, and the last engineer did find problems, and the last STB I was left with was really just a piece of junk. We're not big telly watchers, the kids like the Simpsons on Sky1, and CBBC etc, but that's about it, so I could probably save money having the basic Sky package.
    Freeview would be the obvious choice (apart from Sky1), but according to the website, my postcode is a no-no. The in-laws who live 200 yards away :rolleyes: show up as being able to receive it, but not me. I'm starting to get paranoid.

It's interesting that you mentioned the cable modem, that is one of my concerns. I think I've managed to convince 'er indoors that we need broadband, but I'm loathe to go with NTL, just because of their bad customer service (in my experience). I've been considering going back to BT, & using someone such as Eclipse for ADSL, coupled with the Sky, but I know a couple of people who have NTL cable modems, and it does seem that NTL do seem to have got the service right with the broadband, but neither of them are that local. It's nice to know someone around here is happy with it too.

The saga will continue no doubt.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think it really depends on your area with NTL... I'm in Hertfordshire and the service has been really good all round..!