NTL Digitial Boxes & Connectivity

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by mccune, Jan 20, 2003.

1. mccune

mccune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a similar line to an earlier post do the current NTL Digital cable boxes have Component out? if not are there aftermarket devices available.

many thanks

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Don't think NTL offer any boxes with component out. To connect to a plasma there are various options. www.rgbtosvideo.com will help you see what is available. Component will be your best option only if your amp offers component switching. Otherwise, you might be better off going thr RGB to VGA route, saving component connections for DVD

3. mccune

mccune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks can you confirm this logic then please. I currently run a yamaha 630 which will cater for 2 component in. Therefore if i use one of these for dvd 963sa, i will attempt to use the other for the cable. If i use an RGB to component adaptor (as per the link) can i then feed the Component out from the adaptor to the comp in on the amp and then i use the amp to switch between sources?;)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Exactly so, or that's the amp's intention for sure. RGB to component conversion is pretty lossless, so it will give you just about as good a picture as you are going to get. All with only 1 set of connections. You now have a composite connection for your VHS if you can bear to watch it any more, and VGA for your PC. I've just upgraded to SVHS, and use s-video. The best selling plasma doesn't allow svid and composite to both be connected, so that bit is vital, and prevents use of rgb to s-vid. convereters if you watch any VHS. Keen electronics, www.keene.co.uk and lektopacks, www.lektropacks.co.uk are 2 other sources. There's little dispute on these boards that JS makes the best ones, but the others are cheaper. That's all normal then, you get what you pay for.

5. mccune

mccune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - just need to find another £145 now!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Reminds me of a speech by Churchill:- 'It will be long, it will be hard, there will be ups, and there will be downs, but there will be NO withdrawals!' Obviously he wasn't into AV kit, we all make withdrawals all the time.