NTL Digital stb's?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by garrad, Aug 10, 2004.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had NTL digital installed into my apartment in Ireland.

I think the digi box I have is the Pace DC400. (http://www.pace.co.uk/products/broadcaster.asp?BID=ntl:Ireland)

Now I was wondering can I change the digi box and replace it with another one? For example the DC210 has optical digital out, though it will probably be just stereo, i'd rather have the digital optical that split my scart to my amp.

2. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick answer - No

ledzep

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Other people have gotten a replacement after contacting NTL and explaining why the supplied model was not suitable, mainly due to some not having RF pass through or RCA phono audio outputs.
    It may come down to just talking to a receptive CS rep.

4. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now this is NTL ireland... They are the worst company in the world. So I'll give them a shout and see but it is unlikley.

So what's the deal then. Is it just that NTL need to support the specific boxes and the EPG stuff won't work otherwise?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No it's about money.
    They cut the spec to get cheaper boxes which is why some don't have RF pass through and seperate twin phonos for audio while older models do. The most recent STB's have started to show up with optical output which is perhaps the result of NTL sourcing from Samsung which may have prompted PACE to up their hardware whilst keeping the price point that NTL were willing to buy at.

Now I do not know if this applies to NTL in Ireland, they may have their own contracts with suppliers and only have access to certain STB models.

6. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what stops me from going out and buying another set top box and connecting it to my NTL line?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Digital cable STB's can not be legally purchased and the cable providers will not knowingly allow you to use unauthorised hardware on their networks so that removes any form of encrypted digital TV.
    NTL encryption has been compromised but that is not a discussion for these forums.

I would simply call NTL and explain why you would rather have a STB with an optical output, it may be they are simply not used in Ireland.

8. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I'm aware, currently there are no STB's with optical outputs on any ntl network.

ledzep

9. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sucks so much. With sky you can buy any STB and hook it up. Call SKY let them know and it's cool. But with cable you can't what the fudge? :eek:

If I was staying in a house I would be with Sky in a second, damn stupid apartments that can't get sky. (Not allowed in any way before you give ideas)

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's quite amusing really.
    So many people go on about SKY's control of the satellite and PAY program market but compared to cables control of it's network SKY are amateurs:)
    Of course a lot of it is to do with the franchise nature of cable, they had to pay the government a great deal of cash for the right to sell phone/net and TV to the UK consumer. This money also bought them the right to charge people even for the basic 5 terrestrial channels if they so choose and to have no other cable opposition in their areas. One big bonus is that since the hardware is loaned/rented the cable company handles all the maintenance and repairs at no further cost to the subscriber.

11. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just need to look at some of the services in the USA. They are fantastic. Great hardware, fantastic easy to use interfaces, fast large systems. It rocks.
    Why does the UK always come second in this. Why does the UK always take for ever to start new services (HDTV cough).
    Then on another note I'm from the UK but live in Ireland and in ireland we get everything years after the UK here and not only that, but crap versions. Just check out the NTL box I have, it's usless, so slow and no seperate audio outputs. Just a joke.
    Oh and I did contact them, they only have ONE cable box avaliable in Ireland. Why oh why do the services suck ass here???

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Cable in the US has been going for many decades, it's a very mature system operating in a very competitive market especially since digital satellite started to emerge and it helps that they don't have the rooftop aerial culture we have:)

I've always been shocked to see black & white US tv shows where the characters have cable and remote control while we were still 20 years away from that!

13. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so back onto topic. If I manage to get a better STB, say from the UK, one that somebody is selling. What is stoping me from using my ntl card in the box and having the box connected to the cable line?

14. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NOTHING - I guess.

I some how ended up with two NTL STBs after moving house (they told me to take the old box but they installed a new one), I asked them 3/4 times to collect the old box, they never did, I sold it on EBAY :laugh: as far as they are concerned (if they every ask) its been dumped.

Any how both NTL boxes had PHONO OUT PUTS, but no DIGITAL OUT! Generally they are useless. The system is soooooo slow and crashes all the time. I now have a HUMAX Freeview PVR terrestrial and its much faster, has optical out and can out put S-Video. What I don't understand is how a STB connected to a high speed cable network is slower that a STB on terestrial?

NTL are way behind, their boxes need updating v.soon inc HD recorder. OR else they will loose customers.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    it depends on the region but i am not sure the box will work with any old CARD in it, but it might!

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well first you are buying property the seller has no right to sell, just because you seem them on ebay doesn't mean they are legit, a seller could claim NTL never picked it up but that still means going to court if/when action is taken.
    The STB will also have been registered to a particular address in the franchise area that it was supplied for and the smartcard would have been matched to the STB.

No giant hand is gonna come out the sky and stop you from pluging one in but you can be prosecuted for buying stolen goods and NTL will not be very happy if you connect unauthorised hardware to their network that's assuming the network actually recognised the presence of a digital STB that hadn't been registered at that address/location.

If you decide to do it then only spend money you are prepared to write off:)

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do the boxes not have an id? I don't think you can connect a box to NTL without the help of an NTL engineer.