1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL - Digi TV & Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by garry_brock, Jan 9, 2003.

1. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone..

Anyone got NTL broadband?? Im considering upgrading my NTL Internet package to the 600k Broadband offering, from the 56k dial-up.

Now I don't know if i'm dreaming, but i seem to remember something on these forums ref : downgrade in digital TV pic quality after broadband has been installed..??? Am I right in saying that the digi-box also acts as the cable modem, and all that connects to your PC is a cable betwen digi-box and USB port??

Final question - is the broadband service reliable???

Thanks for your help

Garry.:)

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have ntl digital and broadband nothing connects to the tv box i have a seperate cable modem they both meet up at the wall socket havent noticed a drop in tv picture quality either

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depends on the ntl franchise your in Cardiff are good but other areas i cant speak for. Had a 512 last year and no drop in quality if the quality drops just get them to up the signal at the Box.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    The Pace (digital) NTL cable boxes have ALWAYS had a cable modem in them awaiting local infrastructure rollout to support it. I switched in November to their 600Kbps service (networked to 2 PCs). No degradation in the TV picture quality resulted whatsoever.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are in an EX-Cable & Wireless area then you connect your computer to your STB via a network cable (not USB).
    If you are in an “original” NTL area then you will get a separate cable modem connected via a network cable or USB; the installer will check the signal levels for both the CM and the STB, so you picture quality should not suffer.

I’ve had BB for about a year and in that time I down time of about a week in total, and there is no way I could go back to a dial up modem!

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must consider this very carefully before making up your mind. Can you really aford it every month for the rest of your life? If you can't then don't get it, even if they offer you a free trial like they did me then you must say no because trust me when I say it, you will never be able to go back to dial-up ever again without taking depression tablets :D :D

No seriously I had loss of service problems when I first got it and even with those problems I couldn't bring myself to go back to dial-up, the very thought of dial-up depresses me now:)

Go get it ;)

7. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had the 600k service for a few months now and could never go back to dial up. You can also down grade the service to 128k, which I have just done, the speed of downloads run at about 32kb/sec which is much faster than twice a normal 56k connection and at £15/mth is no more than most 56k deals.
    I will probably stay with this, depends on your needs/desires.
    To answer your question I have not noticed any picture degrogation and it uses the digi box to usb; I'm ex cable & wireless.

Ken

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    If you are in an EX-Cable & Wireless area then you connect your computer to your STB via a network cable (not USB).

I am in an ex C&W (also ex Nynex) area. Yes an Ethernet/network cable is plugged into the RJ-45 socket at the rear of the STB. At the PC end though, they supplied a USB adaptor dongle - so I didn't have to put a 2nd NIC (Network Interface Card) into the PC. The USB adaptor was a no-cost option ; they simply asked which method I wanted to use.
    I had never even seen an Ethernet-to-USB adaptor before.

Just though I would mention this.
    The (work) PC I am using to type this is ADSL and the ADSL modem also uses USB (again saving me having to have 2 NICs in one PC). So USB seems to becoming the preferred method for both ADSL & Cable broadband.
    The reason I have both ADSL & Cable-broadband is that I work from home a lot & work supplies/pays for the ADSL link.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BT dont etrhernet as it allows multiple PC's to connect to 1 ADSL modem. They want to charge huge amounts for this. ntl dont care.
    Do they monitor the usage? I would have thought that it is a perk. unless they run VPN on!!!!!! Serious stuff if they do:eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    The work access (via BT is a paid for as a business line) & yes I access our network via VPN.
    It's called "BT Openworld Business 500".
    I use a USB switch so that I can also use it (in my own time) on my personal desktop PC (win conjunction with a Zonealarm firewall, of course).

11. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No loss in picture quality. Awesome service. Not had a problem yet and have had the broadband via cable box service since the first day it was launched. Highly reliable.

12. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys for all your responses so far..

From what ive read then yeah, i will definately go for the 600k with free installation, then probably downgrade it to 128k after a couple of months or so...

after all, the poxy 56k dial-up has just gone up to £10 anyway...

garry

13. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i had 512k (before it became 600k) and now ive got 1mb. lightning fast and no degredation of any kind. ausome service for £35/month

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My 1mBit is networked via a router, as is our ADSL at work, as they said, NTL don't care, and BT don't know! No picture loss, and better content for broadband users, perfect for HCPC. If you are into trailers, music vids etc then you will have to stay 600k or more. NTL have recently announced the end of the special offer on 1mbit of £34.95, it's now permanent. There is plenty of capacity in their system, they are likely to up the ante again in the future. In the US, 1mbit is old hat. Yahoo's 'Launch' service is 300k at present, BTW ie streamable only to 600k users. Others are similar, either dial up stamp size or 300k+, no 128k except some radio stations.