NTL Cable Wireless router options? What do you use?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by goatywoaty, Sep 7, 2005.

1. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi folks, not sure im in the wrong forum here but I wasnt sure where to ask!

Basically we have three computers in the house, on one we have just got NTL cable broadband and I was wanting to share this connection with the other computers...

I was also wanting to have LAN games between the computers...

Am I right in thinking that if I plug a wireless cable router intp the modem and then just get a wireless usb network adapter in each computer I could do all this?

If so I was thinking to either go with the Netgear 54mbps WGR614 Cable/DSL wireless router and 3 x Netgear wireless usb 2.0 network adapters...

OR

Belkin 125g Wireless cable/dsl internet gateway router and 3 x Belkin 902.11 wireless USB 2.0 Network adapters...

The belkin option seems the cheaper option at the mo, but I was wondering which is generally considered the more reliable option... (that is if ive not got it all totally wrong and this isnt what I need at all!!! :rotfl: )

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Kiran

2. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's exactly what I did when I lived in rented accomodation. Instead of the connecting the cable from the modem to your PC, just connect it straight into the wireless router.

I used some 3Com Wirless 11g USB dongles bought from www.komplett.co.uk.

Make sure both the Wireless router and the network adaptors are compatible with 11g - This is the faster connection.

Hope this help :)

3. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    sounds like a plan :)

Im not really bothered about speed...well thats a lie but 54mbs would be adequate im sure seen as my connection is only 1mb :D

Would those items ive listed not be fast?

Basically im just trying to find out what is going to be the most compatible with NTL...Im not the most computer literate person in the world :rotfl:

Thanks for your help :)

Kiran

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Stick with Netgear. And yes, those items would be fine. Alternately, you could just get some wireless NIC's and stick them in a free PCI slot rather than slowing down the PC by using USB ports. The Cable modem goes to the router then do each PC at a time. Hardwire the main PC (the nearest to the router) with a CAT5 connecter to do the intial setting up, then do the rest using wireless.

5. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have an SMC Barricade wireless router similar to the one bundled HERE

Mine is very fast, and I've never had any problems with it all :)

:lesson: As long as you've already got the NTL broadband working on a PC already, I doubt that you will have any problems, if at all. It's just a matter of re-arranging the cables. I've had my wireless router connected in another household and it just worked straight away.

When I first installed mine I hadn't even got the NTL connection working on a PC yet, and trying to get the connection going at the same time as the router gave me a few problems. Nothing that couldn't get solved with some advice from NTL though :thumbsup:

6. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Uh oh, ive been a little scared by the thought of my computer been slowed down?! All the computers are pretty fast anyway so im not sure if this will still be slowed down?

Yeah at the mo im thinking Belkin because of the price but could I ask Overkill why I should stick with Netgear? :) Is it because they generally have less conflict with NTL or whoever?

Thanks for the advice though Rob, its reassuring :thumbsup:

Thanks again ppl for the advice, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Kiran

7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Netgear, not Belkin. Netgear are known for their hubs etc, Belkin for their KVM switches.

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Netgear stuff is, from bitter experience, the best networking stuff I've used. D-Link and Belkin Ive had problems with. SMC are good as well.

On the other point, yes I've found that my NTL link has always worked well with them. I use a standard wired router with built in firewall and printer port. For Wireless I use an AP. Both Netgear.

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Belkin have latched on to wifi and networking products big time, linksys is also popular and I come across a guide on how to use a particular one of there wifi routers with ntl cable modem.

I'm just about to connect my asus router to my cable modem, i've heard that they lock the modem to the mac address of the nic that the cable modem was installed too, so this means finding the mac address for the lan card that the modem is pluged into and then forceing (probably from a menu) the router to have the same mac address.

I haven't tried this yet and it might just be a case of plug in and go, i'll report back when i get it done.

The mac address is the machine address, like an id for the card their ment to be unique and usualy in hex format.
    A nic is a network interface card, a network card really.

10. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I use the Linksys WRT54G router and WUSB54G usb adapter with my ntl bb modem and pc and they are excellent.

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,528
    I also would always recommend Netgear stuff, but apart from any personal opinion etc, you'll find the netgear kit the easiest to setup by quite a margin..

they've got their setup wizard routine absolutely nailed these days. :smashin:

( I'd also avoid USB adapters too, if you've got a free pci slot in the PCs get PCi wireless cards, with removeable antenna preferably too (upgradeability)

12. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Agreed! It's a breeze.

Now, if only setting up each wireless PC was as easy......... :D

13. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I've got an NTL 2meg line, and use a Netgear WGR614 Router. This runs my desktop, and also serves 2 wireless laptops. Took 10 minutes to set up. Never had an issue yet.

Netgear stuff is certainly the best of what's available, and worth the extra few pennies if you ask me.

14. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
  15. gario

gario

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We use a Belkin 2.4GHz wireless router, 802.11g 54Mbps, whatever that means :confused:

We bought it from PC World when it was on special offer.

I haven't got a clue, but my young son set it up and it works just great :clap:

Recommended

16. goatywoaty

goatywoaty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Great thanks for the advice ppl :) Much appreciated and its reassured me on what to go for :thumbsup:

Kiran

17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Pluged mine into the router as past of the setup it asked for the mac/physical address required got the one from the computer it was installed in and it worked strait off.

Yo get your physical/mac address go to the command prompt,
    Start->Run: type "cmd"

In the command prompt type ipconfig -all
    and under physical address it is. You might have to remove the dashes between each of the hex numbers.