1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Cable to 11HT via RGB!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Pip_UK, May 3, 2002.

1. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased Keene Electronic's Syncblaster cable (RGB to 5 x BNC Cable length 10m). They supplied an external power source for the sync but even at 10m pin 8 of the scart is suffienct to meet the sync voltage so have not used it.

Picture quality is excellent ... definitely worth the £90 but saying that a rgb to s-video converter and a good quality 10m s-video lead costs the same and the picture is no where near as good.

I have read a lot of reviews saying projectors are not suitable to watch tv. Well I disagree ... and so has everyone that has seen my setup. Even in moderate light the picture quality is good with very few artefacts from a Pace 2000 box.

Still haven't had time to post some more shots but will try in the next week and will include some tv samples

Pip

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,745
    So what exactly does this lead do? and is there some electronics involved as you mention power being an option.

I thought that all you needed was to run RGB coaxes to the projector and another to run the composit with synch.

Does you magic lead put sync on green or something?

I would like to know what is involved here so that I can do the same from my NTL box

3. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Some good points!

Also, is it the same if you use a Sky Digital box?

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Pip, glad there are more of us using pj's as a TV. Great isn't it?

I know you dumped your original convertor. This is obviously a good alternative. I take it the Sony can obviously accept a RGB signal? My Panasonic requires a VGA connection. Can't remember if it accepts RGB, Tim????

The point being, this lead you have interests me. Hadn't noticed it before, is it a new addition to Keene's catalogue?

5. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keene's site say that most equipment that can take an RGB signal struggle with sync voltage from an RGB lead. The syncblaster cable isolates and amplifies the sync signal to over 1v. The lead comes as either scart to VGA or scart to 5 x BNC. The BNC cables are consist of 5 - R,G,B, HSync, Vsync although you can use it without the VS. All the electronics are in the scart cable and it is no bigger than a normal scart.. A lead comes out of the scart for an external power source (supplied) to use if the voltage provided by pin 8 in the scart is insufficient). I presume this is for very long cable runs but I am not an expert on this subject ... perhaps soneone else knows the reason).

Your display device has to be able to take a 15k horizontal signal which Keene say most video projectors do. I used BNC to RCA goldplated converters from Lektropaks. The 11 HT can take component, RGB (Comp for sync), RGB (sync on green) and RGB (Hsync and Vsync). The picture appears to work just as well on the computer setting and also the DTV (GBR) whatever that is.

The lead can be found on Keene's site under Sterling Gold Cables. The cable is not ready made and takes several weeks to be made up and delivered.

Pip

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As you paid £90, I take it you have the 10m version, and you say you've no need for the external power source over that distance? Sounds very promising. A cheaper alternative to a RGB to Component convertor too.

Also, in your opinion, how good is the RGB signal in comparison to a component, if you are able to say? Cheers.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Pip, you must be lucky. This lead is an alternative to the RGB to VGA Plasma convertor with the same limitations.
    I looked into it before, and it seems either Keene or RGB to SVideo are wrong, see here http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/rgb-vga/rgb-comp.htm They say the pj must start at 15Khz, but most start at 30KHz, hence your pj seems to fit the bill, as one of the few that will?????????????????

8. Pip_UK

Pip_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The signal from the Syncblaster is comparable to componenet depending on the broadcast. A geeky friend of mine told me that NTL compresses the Sky signal (which is itself compressed) even further. Live tv fares a lot better than old stuff (which is a shame as I watch Para mount a lot) but saying that the picture is still good.

I have an RGB signal on my Philips Plasma (in the bedroom) and I would say the picture is comparable.

Pip

9. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pip
    If the 11ht spec for inputs is the same as the 10ht you will find that a Scart to 3 phono (rgb) with pin 19 connected to pin 11 with a 50 ohm resistor in line will give you sync on green. I have such a cable which runs for 15 metres powered by a scart distribution amplifier with the signal provided by a pace digital box from NTL. I don't think that you need the amplifier but its just insurance against signal loss over that distance. The picture quality varies dependant on the original source, BBC tends to be the best.
    Dave