NTL Cable picture into a Plasma

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by jamie110, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Some help/advice appreciated.......

Recently Purchased a Sony KDEP42XS1 and so far have been impressed with the picture from my DVPNS999ES DVD player (component connections using a PCV1 QED Component lead) however the picture from my NTL box is truly awfull! (new style Samsung box)

I have spoken to NTL, and there faults department, and they took me through various checks, having the RGB enabled, a decent quality Scart connector (i am currently using a QED 4115 (i think?) anniversary RGB directional cable) and had no complaints from it previously, and they even checked the signal levels I have been receiving, all within paramameters they say are acceptable.

The problem arrises with skin tones on peoples faces, they appear blocky, and down the jaw line there appears a greenish/red line? programs like the simpsons are generally a lot better.

I have been reading various threads on the AV forums site, and heard talk of the JS RGB to Component converter, people seem to rave about them, but before I invest in the box o tricks, i would like to know if it will improve my picture at all? and that I will be impressed with the results.

Someone has led me to believe that the Sky service would incorporate a better picture? if this is the case i can investigate getting out of my NTL contract as the service/picture is not up to scratch.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated

Many thanks

Jamie "newbie"

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The converter does not improve the signal and so the only time you will see any improvement in picture quality is if your screen is better at processing composite over RGB (most aren't but the panasonic PD30 & PD50 are two which are).

I had a forced switch from Sky to NTL when I moved property and have to say that there was a noticable drop in picture quality - some of the more knowledge people who frequent this forum have said that NTL use lower bitrate transmissions than Sky. Unfortuantly whilst I can get out of my NTL contract I cannot get into a Sky one due to building regs/the building freeholders wishes.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I moved from NTL to SKY - I had NTL being fed into a denon amp via s-video and "upconverted" to Component, the picture was pretty poor. Using a RGB Scart convertor to component (I use the cheaper non JS TECH) convertor made a world of difference. I would hight recommend it. Maybe a kind AVFORUM person near to you might assist in lending you a convertor....

4. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Assuming you can get pictures from the internal freeview decoder are these pictures much better than NTL? If yes, I would suspect the set top box is faulty.

5. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Many thanks for both your replies chaps, I am trying really hard to get out of my NTL contract, they sent a so called "techie" guy round, he stood there for five mins, told me the pic was awfull, and then left!

He did no checks whatsoever and told me i should search the internet for forums such as this, and see what everyone else was saying.

The impression I get is that NTL/cable is not as gerat as the Sky package, something about higher bandwidth from Sky?

Ill definately look into up-converting the RGB to component when I have got rid of this abomination of a picture from NTL.

Again, thanks for your time

Jamie

6. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just to keep you all up to date, for those that are reading anyway, NTL have just told me that there Cable boxes are not compatible with PLASMA technology :eek: :lease:

Hmm sounds iffy, but now I am out of that contract, with a 20 pound credit for inconvenience, so can now go the SKY+ route!

Hopefully this will give better results!

Cheers

Jamie

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Sounds like complete rubbish...but good luck to you.

I'm about to go down the LCD route and have NTL so I approach with trepidation. Let me know how you get on with Sky....I was always under the impression that you could get a better pic with NTL, but obviously not!

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have a Telewest (Pace) box, and pq into my Hitachi 32PD5200 VIA rgb depends on what I am watching, wether it is a 4:3 transmission in panoramic mode, and the bitrate of the transmission. The big 5 channels tend to be very good, some others can be good but many are often poor. The main factor is the source material. The transmission path is a secondary factor that might affect certain groups of channels.

9. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    What a pile of cr*p! NTL works fine with plasma screens, as suggested it's the bitrate of the transmissions in most cases that let it down.

I have a Pace 1000 NTL DigiBox connected via RGB SCART into my Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma and it works; PQ on things like SKY News, Sky One, BBC News 24 etc. is excellent, not too hot on some of the others.

Am ditching NTL for SKY+ in 10 days time (too many EPG problems lately, doesn't have some of the FTA channels I want to watch & SKY+ = better PQ) then, finances allowing, hopefully next month get Piers down for calibration to round things off.:thumbsup:

ALI

10. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I totally agree, what they were telling me was a pile of c*ap, but hey it gets me outta there contract, and into a Sky one, which for all intents and purposes will be a better PQ. And i work for a well known Plasma/LCD/electronics company so i reckon we would have heard by now if this was the case....

Just for clarification, NTL struggled when ever the picture involved peoples faces on the screen. it looked terrible, blocky, and with a red/green line down any harsh lines eg jaw line round the eyes ????

Used to have a Pace box, and then they came round and changed it for the Samsung version, which I was not impressed with at all.

Well the Sky people will be round on Thursday, so Ill update then when all is in and working, I get 8 days to decide if I like the PQ of that, although I believe it will be fine, + you get loads more channels with the sky package than you do with NTL.

cheers

J

11. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Damn, if I'd known that their lack of knowledge with regards NTL --> Plasma = refund then I wouldn't have terminated my contract, ahving to pay off the remaining 3 or so months at the minimum level :-(

I had the same trouble with peoples faces many times, looked awful and was obviously not just the bigger display as DVD playback had no such problem.

Do keep us informed as to how things go once SKY is in and running.

ALI

12. Brainboy

Brainboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am moving from a Telewest area to one where they don't supply so will be switching to SKY or just getting Freeview - Please let us know if PQ is really better with SKY?

13. jamie110

jamie110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I will keep you informed, however the plot thickens!

The Engineer from NTL gave me a courtesy call, and i explained to him what they told me, canceling my contract etc and that i was having sky, now as i am getting Sky installed tomorow, and I have still got NTL to the end of the month (even though it is free) they want to bring a couple of there engineers round to see if they can see the difference!

So i have them coming over to check it all out on tuesday of next week, ill let you all know the outcome of mine, and there opinions.

Could be interesting :suicide:

14. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I personally am glad you got out of the ntl contract.

I used to work for them and have to say, they are the most incompetant, deffective telecommunications company I have ever come accross. The reason you had such bad advice was because their entire customer service teams are all temps and don't have a clue on what they're talking about.

15. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Jamie

Don't waste your money on an RGB to component converter. This only makes sense if you want to switch the video signal through a receiver, but will not improve picture quality. RGB is very similar to component and a conversion actually degrades the picture quality slightly (I've got the JS Technology converter). If you have set RGB on your box and your TV then that's as good as it gets. You might want to try a different brand box such as Pace (if NTL will give you one). The other thing you can do is get a scaler to upscale the signal to 720p or 1080i, which in my case has improved the Telewest quality significantly and is even better for DVD. But cable is normally not as good as Sky due to the lower bitrate.

16. Brainboy

Brainboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jamie110,

Many thanks for this unfolding tale please keep us updated. I think it says a lot for NTL that they are at least interested enough to send someone out to check if there is a diff - two engineers is unheard of in my experience with them pre Telewest! I suppose the cynic in me would put my money on them thinking the NTL PQ is better than SKY but you never know there are still some decent honest souls left out there and some of them must work for cable companies?