NTL cable into 2 tv sets. Possible?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by The Duke, May 27, 2005.

1. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have an NTL cable which at one time, provided both tv and internet.
    It was dicontinued and the set top box taken out when the previous tenants moved out.
    The line is fine and provides bbc & itv with a simple widget from Maplins.
    Now we have a 2nd tv thats a plasma that looks awful so I was wondering:
    is there another widget / splitter (?) that can be bought that will bring the tv into two tv sets in 2 different rooms?

Thought is anyone will know, you gays & gals will!

Thanks

Tim

2. nessy8010

nessy8010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will need a two Way TV amp fed from your RF out of the settop and a TV IR eye at each TV monitor point. The amp on the ntl settop does not pass the 9volts required to supply the amp , so you will also need a separate 9 volt source

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Nessy the point is he doesnt have an STB!!!!

OK ntl do cary analogue but PQ is pretty dire, is there any aerial? and would you consider ntl base pack as an option, (if you have phone from ntl its basically free!) other option is £70 should get you an aerial fited by local chappie!

4. nessy8010

nessy8010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you definitley have the signal passed to the house from the cabinet up your road as ntl sometimes make disconnections to houses that are not using ntl package. even if you have telephone connected , they will still disconnect the rf feed to the house to free up space in the cabinet for new users on your street.

5. nessy8010

nessy8010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will make some enquiries with my contacts at ntl but i think you need the settop to decode what comes in from the network

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,256
    There are still unencypted analogue feeds in the cable networks. Using the cable feed without subscribing is a bit of a grey area - as I understand it just connecting directly to the analogue feed can have a detrimental effect on digital picture quality and broadband quality for everyone else using the same green box as you in your street. If the cable co find you (due to interference in the signal) they will definitely chop the connection at the green box to preserve the signal for paying customers.

The situation IIRC is different in Milton Keynes where all houses were cabled and the residents are entitled to connect.

I don't know what the labour rates are like in "The dark underbelly of humanity" but I got quoted £240 for an aerial install a couple of years ago in N16 so I went to B&Q bought the bits and did it myself for about £50. Still unless you go for Freeview you won't get widescreen broadcasts.

If I were you I would go for the base pack from NTL and get a decent signal for your expensive plasma screen.

7. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
    There is no set top box - it was taken back.
    It was a service provided to a flat upstairs from me.
    Thus at one stage we had 2x services, then 1x service was disconnected leaving the cable in place.
    I have a set top box in my flat and all the NTL services, but it's miles away from what we were hoping to do with the cable to the non-set top box (at present this gives us bbc &itv just fine) and it's that one that I am hoping to split.
    If possible.
    Thanks thus far for the feed back.
    The NTL in my flat is unaffected by us illegally picking up the bbc/itv signals, it's a different line and subscription, but I have a 32 inch 100hz standard tv, so maybe it's all the plasma's fault!

Thanks

Tim

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cable boxes remian property of cable company so are you offering to supply stolen goods? You claim to be an installer but seem to know nothing about this subject!

TIm it is legal for you to split your ntl feed to other sets, ntl have to carry 1-5 on cable in normal analogue format for no charge, the extra £10 or whatever for an extra box will work alot better and there are lots of other better soltuions but require cable. you can feed RF out of STB to plasma but will look rubbish.

9. nessy8010

nessy8010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon. I dont know what I have done to upset you that you should suggest I would do something such as sell stolen goods to a user of this forum. I made a comment that I could provide a "pace settop box" with no mention this being an ntl box or at best stolen. I have contacts with ntl who would be be very happy to provide a completly legal solution to this persons problem.

And I do know what I am talking about and if you read exactly what I have suggested , I think you will find that nothing I have said exposes my mis-understanding of this subject.

I have been a user on this forum for 1 day now and all I wanted to do is help this person out and given my findings so far, I will be reluctant to use this forum again. I also was intending pushing some advertising revenue to this website, but I must say, if this is the type of reply I get back, I dont think I will bother!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    perhaps you should have read the rules. You are not a forum sponsor, you cannot sell goods and or services on this site if you are a professional trader, and even then only in the classifieds forum. You cannot advertise ad hoc, so perhaps you should learn to read the rules before posting.

So what is this magic Pace you speak of Nessy?

Tim to get anything like the best TV PQ out of your plasma you are going to need to sort something better out. Which plasma is it? does it have an internal tuner?

11. nessy8010

nessy8010
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish not to get involved with debating my details on a public forum and I thank you not to get mileage out of this issue.

Nowhere have I suggested I am a trader and all i wanted to do is help the person asking the question, this person has thanked me for my advise and that I feel is the job done.

I would thank you for ending this issue and lesson learnt, not to be as open again with what I thought was helpful advice.

12. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just side stepping thisngs.....
    Maplins have a divice that might do the trick
    it's item number YZ86

Not sure of the plasma screen but will endeavour to find out.

Keep up the good suggestions guys & gals.
    Much appreciated - off to the IOM TTon Tuesday, so if I do not get a reply to you, it's 'cause I'm giving it great handfulls, and laying down great big, dirty black lines 'round the 37.73 mile circuit (not racing - just a spectator). Ah......roll on the fine weather!

Thanks

Tim