NTL cable box move.

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by lonny, Mar 26, 2003.

1. lonny

lonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I need to move my NTL box about 11m away from its current position and have a few questions.

1. Which cable do I need? I've seen various references to CT100 & CT125 etc and am unclear which is the correct one. Is satellite cable from maplin (eg XS17T) OK to use?? Is there any advantage to getting higher spec cable for my purpose?? I understand the CT125 cable is thicker - 1.25mm cross section. Is this too wide to fi into the STB??

2. Am I likely to run into signal loss issues with this distance?? The green NTL box in the road is only about 20 ft away from my house - not sure if this is relevant.

thanks in advance.

Lonny.

2. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Standard satellite cable should be fine. Adding this extra distance won't be an issue.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use H109 or CT100 satellite cable. Actually, for indoors, the cheaper RG6 cable should be fine. CT125 is too thick and you won't get an "F" connector to fit it. Nor is it very flexible. Satcure sells RG6 and H109 cable on drums and in short lengths. Other suppliers seem to sell it on 50m or 100m drums.

Fman

4. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I moved mine and used Satellite cable and F-connectors from B&Q.

A few weeks later I had an NTL engineer around to deal with a problem with the STB software who commented on the cable not being particularly good for the job.....until he put his test kit on it to prove his point.

Turned out the cable I'd built was better than the original one I'd removed even though it was 5 times longer. Distance shouldn't be an issue as it's all copper from the green box to your house and in my case thats about 500m.