ntl cable and Tosh XS32

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by nibs, Sep 15, 2004.

1. nibs

nibs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone experience of marrying ntl cable signals via a PACE DiTV-1000 set top box to a XS32SB? The XS32 needs a code to recognise the PACE set top box and Toshiba helpdesk don't know the code (and neither do ntl). This means I cannot use the XS32 controller to select channels so I can only record the channel selected by the ntl controller. Toshiba helpdesk say they didn't design the XS32 to work with a cable signal but they don't say that in their advertising so I think this stinks.

And I've just learned that Techtronics from whom I bought it - and it was delivered only this week - has just gone bust. :mad:

nibs

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Your NTL box (I have the same one) doesn't use the same knid of infra-red signal that most other remote-controlled devices use. I can't remember the exact technical details but it's something to do with the frequency of the light, I believe.

The upshot of this is that most infra-red transmitters can't control an NTL box. I've had this problem with both video senders and 'learning' remotes. If it's anyone's fault it's Pace's for designing a box that works on a different IR standard to everyone else.

You're stuck I'm afraid. The best thing you can do is to set automatic reminders using NTL's hopeless program guide. You might get lucky if you try entering a range of codes in the hope that another device is close enough to the Pace box for it to work, but I doubt it.

Sorry :(

3. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been in contact with Tosh about this, as the tosh does have codes which will control the NTL box via my Red-Eye Translator product. Unfortunatlely, the timing of the Tosh IR signal means that it doesn't select the correct channel, as the NTL box sees 3 one-digit channel codes instead of one 3-digit one. They said they can't (i.e won't) change their firmware to adjust the timing, but 'will look at it in the next version'. If enough people are interested I may look into the possibility of doing a workaround in the Red-Eye firmware.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Interesting.
    That explanation tells me that it isn't the actual frequency of the IR light that is different with the NTL boxes.
    It's the datarate (pulse repetition frequency) or possibly the mark-space ratio that's different (timing rather than frequency).
    I had always thought that NTL used a different data protocol but it looks like I was wrong.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

5. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The IR wavelength on all remotes is similar. It's the way the information is modulated onto it that differs.
    Most conventional IR systems use a carrier in the region of 30-50Khz, which is then modulated with data bits at a rate of the order of a few milliseconds per bit.
    The Two Way TV protocol used by NTL and Telewest STBs is based on the IRDA format, which transmits short pulses at 115.2 Kbits/second. This causes major problems with things like learning remotes, Pronto's, IR senders, and other devices that extect to be talking to a conventional IR system.

The Red-Eye translator provides a solution to many of these problems, translating codes in a conventional IR signal to the NTL format. It;s just a shame that Tosh didn't provide enough adjustability in its IR timings - this also affects the non-IRDA NTL 4001 boxes used in some areas.

6. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Thanks for your detailed explanation and for spelling out the appropriate datarates, Mike.

(my curiosity is now satisfied)

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

7. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    This may or may not be useful, but I managed to get my learning remote - a OneForAll six-in-one - to learn some of the functions of the NTL controller. It can manage channel changing and power off/on, although each one has to be learned individually.

Regards

Nelviticus