1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

NTL Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by scrapbook, Feb 20, 2003.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Just looking to go down this route for my INternet access.

Let me see, have i got the following right?

I have a digi box already so NTL will send me a ethernet cable and associated software.

I can then connect the ethernet cable to a wireless access point that will then allow me to surf the net from two different computers in the house at the same time or from either one even if the other is not on.

Is this correct?

Your comments would be appreciated

2. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scrapbook

Correct in theory, not quite correct in execution. I have NTL Broadband and this is how it works....

1. NTL actually need to come to your house and run a new cable from the access point outside, into a cable modem (which they supply), you can then run an Ethernet cable from this and then yes you install some software and away you go. The Digibox is on an entirely separate cable and has no part to play.

2. If you want to run multiple computers off this you'll also need a wireless access point, and the necessary 'reciever' expansion card or PCMCIA for each computer. DABS (www.dabs.com) are selling a wireless access bundle specifically for NTL Broadband made by a company called Actiontec.

Once you got this, yes both computers can acces the net simulatneously and either one can access by itself, regardless of whether the other is switched on or not.

Hope that helps

Sharon

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have NTL service, too - 600Kbps cable modem and digital TV. There is only one cable from the access point outside; it is then split between a Pace digital TV box and my cable modem inside the house.

My Pace box has got a 128Kbps DOCSIS cable modem onboard, so it may be that you could hook up this way at the slower speed.

FYI I get a discount on the cable modem service of £5 pcm because I opted to purchase a cable modem, rather than 'rent' NTL's. It pays after a year or so if you buy well.