1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Skid Solo, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering installing broadband into my house, I already have NTL Digital and two telephone lines, one being purely for dial and will be replaced by broadband. MY STB is in the lounge downstairs and my PC is in my study upstairs.

I have some questions regarding installation, I have looked through threads in this forum but am still a little confused :

Will the broadband connection be via my STB, thus the cable will be connected to the back of my STB and then distributed to the study upstairs

If the above is the case will the cable be fixed to the outside of the house, thus having to drill further holes in the exterior, i.e. Broadband into house by STB, Broadband out of house fro STB broadband into house for PC ?

What sort of cable is used from the back of the STB, is it a standard co-axial TV cable ? if so am I allowed to use some cables already installed in the walls of the house (I have 2 spare co-ax cables from the lounge into the loft area above the study) ?

Where does the cable modem have to be, is this near the STB, or the PC or can it sit anywhere between them ?

If the Modem can sit anywhere then does it have any restriction on cable lengths from either the input (from STB) or output to PC ?

A lot of questions I realise, but I want to understand what the installation involves before I go ahead. My digital installation was a nightmare, with the salesman not understanding what I wanted from NTL and the installers and there supervisor taking the brunt of my annoyance at them not supplying what had been promised by the salesman. I don’t want to go through that again.

2. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I had NTL installed fairly recently.

Wether the STB or a cable modem is used depends, i believe, on whether you are in an ex cable and wireless area or not.

I am in Watford (ex CWC) and the STB is used. The installation of broadband consisted of a small parcel, sent via royal mail. This contained a long roll of Cat 5 ethernet cable (not co-ax) and a couple of adaptors. One end of the ethernet cable is plugged into the back of the set top box and then you run the cable to wherever your PC is and plug it into an ethernet carc. If you dont have an ethernet card they supply an ethernet to USB adaptor in the box.

It is purely a DIY installation. No-one from NTL comes to visit.

However if you are in an area that uses a cable modem then I have no idea. I would guess they would run some more coax from their junction box to whichever room you want then attache the cable modem to that.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Look on the back of your STB, if you have a RJ45 socket marked Ethernet then you'll be STB based, no engineer will call, they just press a button in HQ when you phone, give you a password and away you go.

Cable modems, I'm not sure either, I think they must have to be installed. Then it will be a 'choice' not sure whether yours or theirs, whether USB or ethernet is the connection. They can put a cable moden where you want it within limits, but all cabling from stb or cm is up to you. USB is limited to max 5m, ethernet is about 350m I think...probably enough then, unless your real name is Onassis. If you've any ambition for more than one PC to have access, ethernet is far and away the winner, internet connection sharing under windows is a dead loss. You'll need a 10/100 card in your PC if there's not already, and a router/hub to run more than 1 PC, NTL only let you have 1 mac address online at once. No router, and the 1st PC you start up will grab the connection, to the exclusion of others. Hope that's all and more than you want to know, BTW don't forget 1mbit is on offer at 34.95 until Dec. 31, and we're all hoping it will continue.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just another thought, if you don't want any more wire, your other option is wireless ethernet, put a wireless access point on top pf your STB, and wander around the house with your laptop, surfing the net and falling down the stairs.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    On the subject of routers for cable broadband it's well worth considering one that will do MAC spoofing (sometimes called MAC cloning) so that you can set the MAC address of the router to be the same as the one for your Network card (every network card in the world has a unique MAC address) and so cable company doesn't know that you have a router

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In the case of NTL, they really really don't give a stuff if you have a corporate network behind a router, you get 1 IP address, and that's it. My network kit is all linksys, can do mac cloning, but more important is port mapping, or you can't use netmeeting or play games over the internet.

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    In Manchester (I live in Sale) NTL (ex Nynex and C & W) had an offer whereby they did a free broadband install provided you booked by October 31st. I did this, got my gear by post and then 2 installers arrived on the correct installation day (Sat Nov 9th). 1 ran a cable from my STB in the lounge to my son's bedroom upstairs (using the outside of the house). The other installed the s/ware and ensured it was all working. I have networked my son's PC with my daughter's elsewhere in the house - just 2 network cards and s/ware built into Win98SE. Of course his PC has to be on for her to get access - but his is on most of the time anyway. I didn't need a 2nd network card in my son's PC either as NTL supplied a USB dongle (which converts USB to ethernet, USB plug one end & RJ-45 at the other).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    .....subject, then, to the max speed of USB when networking. Not limiting for the internet of course. Had any difficulties with ICS? Most do.

9. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only output I have on the back of the STB is an RS232 connector, I assuem this is not for Broadband, I have a Pace STB which was installed just over one year ago.

What will NTL do @ provide a new STB with a RJ45 connection or will I have to have a cable modem ?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have a feeling you'll be a cablemoden person. Ring em up they'll tell you there and then I should think. It doesn't affect anything else, it's just an interface really, that's built into other STB's. The only issue is how it's connected to your PC, and given that you want internet upstairs, ethernet would probably be easier, and a PCI card is only £10. A USB dongle, if you buy it yourself, is £25 or so, and a PCMCIA card for laptops is about £40, rmember that the total bandwidth on USB can become significant, add up a webcam, printer, game controller, soudworks 5.1, scanner, anything you've got, and you'll see why it's usually wiser to avoid USB, it's got plenty of other uses.